Numbness 18 Days After Chin Implant

At 18 days post-op chin implant with numbness one side. If I feel the occasional pulse and then also if I tap over the area I feel little sparks but no tingles or prickles yet does this sound like evidence of nerve recovery? My Surgeon knows for certain it was not severed. The other side is almost normal.Thank you for any feed back.

Numbness after chin implant

+1

You are very early in your post operative course.  Nerves are the most unpredictable of tissue.  Numbness in this operation can take weeks to months to improve.  Please let your surgeon know your concerns.

Nerve injury following chin augmentation with implant

+1

You are performing the Tinel's sign. Pins and needles sensation elicited by tapping over an injured nerve indicate an area of recovery or possibly neuroma formation. It may take 3-6 months for full recovery.

Numbness following chin implant

+1

It is not abnormal to experience numbness 18 days after your chin implant. It is still very soon after your surgery, and at this point it would be best to speak with your surgeon about any concerns you may have. I hope this helps answer your question. Thank you, and best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Chin implants commonly stretch the sensory nerve to the lip

+1

When a chin implant is placed, the sensory nerves to the lower lip can be stretched.  The nerve stretch can cause the area to be numb and the nerve will take time to return to normal function.  The amount of time that is required for the nerve to return to normal function depends on how much stretch the nerve experienced.  If the nerve is not cut it will almost always return to normal but it may take several months and even up to a year.  It sounds like your nerve is recovering.

Best Wishes.

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon