18 Days and Wanting to Take a Break from Sports Bra?

My doctor wants me to wear a sports bra for 4 weeks post op breast reduction. I just want a few hours a day to break from the bra. Would it be ok or would I mess up the shape and healing process? Thanks

Removing a sports bra for a few hours a day 18

+1

In the scheme of things, a few hours a day out of a sports type bra following a breast reduction should not have any long term untoward consequences as long as you replace it with some sort of supportive bra. You should, however, discuss this issue with your plastic surgeon.

Breast reduction and bra

+1

Most surgeons want patients to avoid an underwire bra. It is usually Ok to wear a bra without an underwire. Best to ask you surgeon.

Sports bra after breast reduction

+1
Substituting a "regular" bra for the sports bra for a limited number of hours should not be damaging to the result. However, you should not wear an underwire bra until your doctor instructs you to do so. The sports bra is important because it provides you with support as you heal from the surgery. I would recommend "saving" the time out of it for special events or plans when they want the look of cleavage and shape. My patients rarely complain about the sports bra because they are so thrilled with their new, smaller, lifted breasts that they do not want to risk the result at all.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Sports Bra After Reduction

+1

It is fine for you to take a small break from time to time.  The sports bra is for support during the healing process.

Dr.ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Several Hour Reprieve from Sports Bra after Breast Reduction

+1

Support after breast reduction is important for your long term support and to help maintain the lift for longer.  This has its effects over months and years.  It is probably of little consequence to be out of the bra for a few hours.

Sports bra use following breast reduction

+1

Thanks for your question.  I don't think it will change any of your long term results if you take a break from your sports bra for a few hours.  Usually it will feel good for a few hours to be out of it then you will miss the support that the bra offers and will feel better when you get back into the bra.  Hope this helps to answer your question.

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon