I Am 18 and I Want to Get Botox in my Top Lip, is That too Young?

I have a very plump bottom lip and a very noticeable smaller top lip and I would like to get Botox injected in only my top lip, being 18 would you recommend that I wait ?

Botox in top lip?

+3

Thank you for your question.  Your concern of having "a very noticeable smaller top lip"   is a very common problem.  This  condition is easily corrected by adding a soft tissue filler such as restylane or juvederm.   Botox would NOT be indicated for your problem as it will relax your muscles and will not increase the size of the lip. 

Avoid botox for your upper lip and consider filler

+2

Botox might elongate the upper lip by losing some muscular control and definitition. This might create problems with speech, expression and eating, not to mention whistling and playing a wind instrument.  Fillers are often done for adding volume to thin upper lips, but at your age, you should see a board-certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist in consultation with your parent to determine if you are a candidate and if you should wait several years.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Top Lip BOTOX

+1
A consultation with a physician who is highly knowledgeable with facial cosmetic procedures is recommended. The lines above your upper lip can be treated with either BOTOX or filler, or a combination of both depending on the severity of the lines. BOTOX can be injected in small amounts above the upper lip to slightly turn up your lip giving it the appearance of fullness. If you are looking for a fuller overall lip that lasts more than 3-4 months, facial fillers such as JUVEDERM, might possibly be an option to help “plump” your upper lip.

William P. Mack, MD, PA
Tampa Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox for your lip?

+1

You want to improve the appearance of your upper lip so you would need to meet with a physician and discuss "fillers" not Botox.  You are 18 years old so you can get these treatments if you wish - as long as you read the consent forms and understand the potential risks associated with these treatments.

Good Luck.

Can I use Botox for a Small Upper Lip?

+1

Hi Celina.  The issue here is not whether you are too young or not, but which product is appropriate for your situation. 

Botox will not help with a small upper lip.  Botox is used to relax muscle action rather than add volume.  We would use Restylane, Juvederm or Perlane to add volume to the upper lip and have injected patients as young as 18 for issues where additional volume is desired.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Plump up your lips with Exilis

+1

1. If you want to plump up your upper- lip without any injections, try a few Exilis treatments.  Exilis is the new radio-frequency device that can be used on the lip area to stimulate a little collagen, and plump up your lips.  You can repeat this treatment periodically to maintain your fuller lips-- and you don't have to worry about duck-lips or any needles.  This treatment tightens the skin above the upper-lip which will pull up the pink of your lip and allow a little more-lip show.

2.  A longer-lasting solution is a filler such as Juvederm, and if done correctly it can look very natural.

3.  You can combine these treatments.  Treat with Exilis first and then fill with Juvederm.

Christina Steil, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Botox Injections for 18 Year Old

+1

At 18, you're not too young for Botox injections, but this is not an appropriate treatment to improve the appearance of a small upper lip. Botox is used to decrease unwanted grooves and creases caused by facial muscle contractions. The injection of fillers such as Juvederm or fat injections are better treatments to augment your upper lip.

Wouldn't Recommend

+1

As the other physicians have mentioned, filler treatments are more what you're looking at than botox, however, there's another way to look at this!  You asked if you're too young and I think that's a great question.  In my practice, we do these treatments, but I always caution people to look at themselves as someone else would see them!  Remember, we are all our own worst critic!  Others may look at you and not notice this lip size difference at all.  Because we all want to be perfect, we may be harder on ourselves than we need to be.  I do think this should be something to think long and hard about, because once you start something like this, you're likely going to have to continue.  So at the age of 18, that's an even longer time than most!

Victoria W. Serralta, MD
Arlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox not for upper lip. Fillers are a better option.

+1

Lip augmentation with Restylane or Juvederm would fill your upper lip nicely. Botox is a muscle relaxer, not a filler. It would not provide the result you seek.

Donna Rich, MD

Boyox is a paralyzer; not a filler

+1

Don't get confused and think botox is a filler and can augment your lip! It is a paralyzer of muscle and one has to be very careful as to where it is injected Your concern for the smaller upper lip is not new. The volume ratio for upper to lower is 40% upper to 60% lower. If your proportion is different than that then the fillers can augment the disproportionate lip very nicely. Pick your 'injector' carefully

William D. Merkel, MD
Grand Junction Plastic Surgeon