I'm 17 Years Old. Can I Go from a DD to a B?

I'm a size zero pants size, I'm 5"1, but I feel like my breast are way too large for my body and I get too much negative attention. The bra straps absolutely kill my shoulders and leave ugly marks and my back sometimes hurt. It's absolute hell. My parents want me to get a reduction also. Is it possible to go to a DD to a B with it looking natural after? Also is it possible to go from a DD to an A? And lastly, Can I get surgery at my age? Thank you

Breast reduction

+2

Breast reduction is one of the most gratifying for patients if they are selected correctly. It sounds like this surgery will relieve you of many of your complaints. One basic principle is that the more you reduce the more potential complications since removing breast tissue also removes more of the blood supply to the nipple and the more scars you will potentially need. That being said, with careful planning and detailed counseling, you shuld be able to achieve the results close to what you imagine. Besure to have your surgeon describe all the options and all the major risks and side effects so you are well-informed.

Robin T.W. Yuan, M.D.

Breast Reduction for Teenager

+1

It sounds like you are dealing with juvenile breast hypertrophy along with the physical and psychosocial consequences of this diagnosis. In other words, the breasts are too large for the frame causing  both physical and psychological distress.

It sounds like you have done your homework and understand the potential risk and consultations associated with breast reduction surgery. You also understand that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).

It may not be possible to reduce her breasts to the size that you are suggesting (safely, without compromise of blood supply). You also should be careful not to overdo the reduction  and have regrets the you are too small later. 

It is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).

I would suggest an in-person consultation with a well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeon. Best wishes.

Teenage breast reduction

+1

You should first discuss your concerns with your parents and schedule a visit with your primary care physician or pediatrician. Most insurance companies require letters from multiple surgeons stating the need for this procedure. Your physician will be able to recommend an appointment with a reputable board certified plastic surgeon. Upon consultation and examination, the plastic surgeon will determine if you are a good candidate for this procedure. All risk, benefits, pros, and cons will be discussed so that you and your family will have a clear understanding of this procedure. Together you will be able to make an educated decision on if and when this procedure is right for you. Best wishes!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction in 17 year old patients

+1

Large breasts, such as the DD cup size you have, often produce symptoms like back and neck pain. Breast reduction surgery is an excellent procedure to reduce the size of your breasts and alleviate your pain. It is not possible to predict how small your breasts can be made with surgery without an in person consultation, but it may not be feasible to bring you down to an A cup. Since you are only 17, you will need to have a parent or guardian to be present for the consultation and to consent to surgery on your behalf. Make sure to choose a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in breast reduction surgery and can discuss all the techniques available.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Large Breasts can be very debilitating!

+1

Breast reduction surgery has been a godsend to many young and old woman alike. The relief from back and neck pain, rashes under your breast and weight gains is amazing.

Considerations for breast reduction surgery for someone in their teens include;

1-Reasonable expectations - will your result be as expected.

2-Breast growth has ceased. Routinely we perform breast reduction on teenagers as long as the breast size has been stable for at least one year.

3- Pick the right technique and surgeon - my choice for breast reduction surgery is either a Lejour vertical scar reduction or a Goes Circumareolar reduction. Both give a durable lift, with excellent shape and very sexy look.

Good Luck!

Robert M. Freund, MD

Breast reduction in a 17 year old

+1

Answer:  At 17 years of age, you are certainly not too young for a breast reduction.  A technique that maximizes your ability to breast feed in the future should be used.  It is possible to go from a DD to a B cup, depending on the shape of your breasts and the width of your chest.  I would not recommend going to a small B or A cup, however. You may have regrets later in life.  A proportionate size for your frame is what I would recommend.

York Jay Yates, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction in teenagers

+1

Your age is not a particular barrier for breast reduction surgery, and I have done reductions on teens younger than you, with gratifying results.  It is important however, to discuss this thouroughly with your plastic surgeon so you understand all of the ramifications of this body-altering surgery.  For younger teens, I like to see that there is family support for this decision.  I would be cautious however of wanting too small a cup size, and in fact with the usual techniques involved, it would be difficult to go from a DD to a B or A cup and maintain a reasonable shape-usually a C cup is more appropriate-again this is a point of discussion with your plastic surgeon.  However, no one can "guarantee" a specific cup size, and the goal is to remove the excess tissue that is causing the symptoms, and not "play to a certain cup size". 

Jerry Lugger, MD

Yes, yes and yes

+1

It is unfortunate that your breasts are too large for your body.  Breast reduction surgery can reduce you to any size you want.  You must see a board certified plastic surgeon to be evaluated.  You must know that there will be scars that result from the surgery.  Usually, the more tissue you remove, the longer the scars are.

Also know that your breasts may get larger again with more age and/or pregnancy.

E. Anthony Musarra II, MD

Reduction in a teenager

+1

Based on your size and shape and complaints it sounds as though breast reduction is medically indicated and medically necessary (read: covered by insurance).  The goal is not a particular size but relief from your symptoms. 

Within a range of proportionality you can elect to be a little larger or a little smaller, but you want to be able to wear clothes and bathing suits that you can get off the rack without a lot of alterations.

Remember: you will get relief not just from reduction in volume (size and weight) but also from the "lift" that goes along with the operation.  Your breasts will be much perkier and will be held closer to your body so that your bra (and back and neck muscles) will not have to do so much lifting.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Breast reduction, how small to go

+1

You can consider a breast reduction at 17, though read other similar responses on this site. Concerning size, the base diameter and geometry of the breast will determine the 'best' cup size after reduction, usually a small D or full C-cup. Take a trip to the store and look at some A-cups and even some B's. See how the cup shapes around your hand or fist, and you will appreciate what you are asking for.

peterjohnsonmd