17 Year Old Breast Reduction,good Idea? I Live in the Charlotte Area.

Hi, i'm 17 years old & i wear a 36 J, what size can i end up with? i dont want to be a dd.. i have had large breasts since middle school. i am always having back pain & shoulder pain. i love sports but am forced to nt do thm b/c of the pain & negative attention. when i take showers the parts where my bra digs into my skin burn. my mom & i have looked into breast reduction, & i have no problem that if whn i get older after the breast reduction they grw. i just dnt wnt to be at this size. i'm 5'8, 218, but im well proportioned frm wht my doctor says. also is this a dangerous procedure?

17 year old it not too young for breast reduction

+1

at 5'8 and 218 lbs, your BMI is about 33, which makes you obese.  Obesity is bad for your overall health and leads to multiple medical problems.  I recommend you address the obese issue as soon as possible.  However, my experience with breast reductions is approximately 95 % of all breast reduction I perfom are on obese or overweight patients.  If you are a size 36, each cup size corresponds to 200 grams.  If you want to be a size D, then that corresponds to 6 cup size reduction or 1200 grams.  For someone your size, the insurance company will probably require 1000 gram removal which may be appropriate.  Your age is not a factor and I have done patients as young as 17.  There is a new technique called The Ultimate Breast Reduction, which requires no vertical scars, breast sensitivity is maintained and the ability to breast feed.  You would be an excellent candidate for this procedure.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction now?

+1

Dear Marie. It sounds like you have a condition called "virginal hypertrophy".  Most women with your condition need more than one breast reduction in their lifetimes.  In addition, though most would like to lose weight, they can't due to their breast discomfort or back pain.  Once you have the reduction, you will likely be able to go back to doing the sports you enjoy.  As far as the condition being "dangerous", the relative risks to a young, healthy woman are quite small. 

Victor Ferrari, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Adolescent breast reduction

+1
I would strongly encourage you to lose weight, not only because of the effect on your breasts but for general health considerations. Insurance companies are now denying patients under age 18. In the meantime, you should attempt to fulfill their conservative management guidelines including physical therapy or chiropractic treatment, so that when you turn 18 your case can be authorized. Breast reduction is a major surgery but it is not dangerous per se. However, in a J cup, you may require free nipple grafting which will have consequences in terms of sensation and risks. All of these issues should be discussed with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Losing Weight Prior to Breast Reduction Recommended

+1

The first thing I would recommend is that you try to get help with weight reduction. Being 5'8" tall and 218 pounds is not well proportioned and will affect your breasts but your health in general  as it is most common for you to continue to gain weight in the future. Losing weight will also result in decreasing your breast size and maybe even causing some sagging. If you are able to loose weight and keep it off a breast reduction which would also lift your breast would be recommended.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Breast Reduction for 17 Year Old?

+1

Based on your description you may be a good candidate for breast reduction surgery; it may be in your best interest to drop weight first.

As  you think  about  breast reduction surgery make sure you do your homework and understand the potential risks and complications associated with  the procedure.  Unsatisfactory scarring is  one of the potential complications. Make sure you also understands that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).
On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).
Sometimes breast  reduction surgery is covered through health insurance. The best way to obtain insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery involves some “hoops” to jump through. The more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.
This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization.
Also, make sure you are  working with a well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.