17 Year Old, Breast Implants An Option?

Hello, I am 17 years old 5''7 and 135 pounds. Over the last year and a half I have lost over 30 pounds and have been taking care of my body. Before I gained weight I was a 36c and after I lost weight I wear a 34 small b. My breasts are not the same as they used to be, I have many stretch marks and loose skin. I have had breasts since I was 11. Would it be possible for breast implants with parental consent for a breast augmentation?

At 17, have the consultation first and give yourself some time.

+1

I would recommend having a consultation with a plastic surgeon to get the facts and options regarding breast surgery, then take the time to really think about those options. Undergoing a breast lift or placement of implants should be carefully considered as they create permenant changes to the breast. You may find that breast surgery is just what you want or you may find that waiting a few years is in your best interest. Either way, be sure to consult with a board certified Plastic surgeon (not a board certified "Cosmetic" surgeon).

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast aug under 18

+1

This is always a tough question.I don't know how close you are to your 18th birthday but it would not hurt to begin a dialogue regarding breast augmenatation with a board certified plastic surgeon.Being prepared is always a good thing.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Parental Consent for breast augmentation

+1

I can understand your desire to want to address any issues with your breasts, however, this is an issue to be best discussed with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon once you are 18 years old.     

Morgan E. Norris, MD, FACS

Elective breast augmentation for aesthetic reasons in girls under 18 years old is not recommended

+1

While I support your efforts to lose weight, and I acknowledge your desire to have the best figure that you want, I do not support breast augmentation surgery for elective aesthetic reasons in girls under the age of 18 with or without parental support/consent.  The American Society of Plastic Surgeons has also taken the position that such surgery is best postponed until after patients reach the age of 18.  They have published this in their policy statement on Breast Augmentation in Teenagers, which is available to all ASPS members on their website.  I know it may be tough to wait for what you want, but in this situation, the general rule of thumb is to follow these guidelines because they are there for a reason.   I have no doubt that you can find a surgeon who will do this surgery for you, but just know that this may be contrary to the community standard of care and the general policy for plastic surgeons as a group.  Of course, what we are talking about here is elective surgery for the purpose of enlarging the breasts, not reconstructive surgery to correct a congenital deformity or surgery to treat a medical condition, like breast reduction to treat chronic back pain.  There are always exceptions to every rule, but honestly, in purely aesthetic cases I find very few viable exceptions to this rule.  Good luck.

Joseph L. Grzeskiewicz, MD

Parental consent and breast augmentation

+1

The recommended age for a breast augmentation is 18 but if it is medically justifiable then it can certainly be done at a younger age with parental consent.  

Breast augmentation

+1

Most surgeons would wait until your 18 unless there was a specific breast deformity associated.  Good luck.

Breast augmentation

+1

Sure breast augmentation is possible with parental consent. I am more concerned that you are 17 with deflated breasts that have stretchmarks and a history that doesn't show a massive weight loss. Sometimes the stretchmarks appear because the breasts start to grow faster than the skin around them can accommodate. I am not sure a C cup size alone can do that.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship in order to know if this assessment is valid.

Aaron Stone, MD

Breast Augmentation at 17? Better Not!

+1

I would not advise that for the following reasons:

1. Medically it is not recommended, except in very specific cases for reconstructive purposes.

2. In some countries is illegal and a parental permission is necessary

3. Insurance provided by the implants' suppliers will not cover you in case is needed

4. Adolescents change their minds frequently and they are not sometimes able to decide what is better for them and understand all the risks involved with any surgical intervention in the short and long run.

4. Nothing will happen if you could wait for a little time until you reach at least the minimum ideal age of 18.

I hope this was helpful enough..

Ioannis Michael Ch. Salivaras, MD
UAE Plastic Surgeon

17 Year Old, Breast Implants An Option?

+1

Generally speaking, breast implants are only approved for 18 years of age and older, for purely cosmetic augmentation.  In you case, some PS may consider it a reconstruction in that your breast deflated as a result of weight loss.  You would still need parental consent.

Rigo Mendoza, MD

17 Year Old, Breast Implants An Option?

+1

At the age of 18, you would be eligible for saline implants. The FDA has approved silicone implants for women 22 years and older. I recommend that you make an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon for an examination and to discuss your surgical options.

Wesley T. Myers, MD
Conroe Plastic Surgeon