I'm 17 and I Have Saggy 32E Breasts - Should I Get a Reduction or Lift?

I'm not a big girl, i only weigh 130. They are saggy. should i get a breast lift or a breast reduction even tho i'm not very old?

Breast Lift vs Breast Reduction

+3

Hi ccg,

Deciding on whether to have a breast lift of breast reduction depends more on breast anatomy than your age. We will assume that your breast development is complete, and your weight is stable.

A Breast lift corrects:

• sagging

A Breast reduction corrects:

• sagging
  • heaviness

If you have heavy breasts (as an E cup implies), you should have a breast reduction. A breast reduction will lift your breasts in the same manner as a breast lift, but it also removes breast tissue to take the weight off. You may already have  symptoms due to heavy breast such as neck and back pain, or shoulder grooves from bra straps. Doing a breast lift without removing the weight will result in the breasts being lifted for a short period of time, only to fall back down within 12-18 months. Additionally the symptoms will not be relieved.  A common misconception I find is that patients assume lifting the breasts will somehow relieve them of the weight as well; not true, the weight needs to be removed with a reduction. As for not being very old, young patients commonly undergo breast reduction to ease their symptoms and improve appearance. Breast feeding may be affected with breast reduction and you should discuss this with you surgeon.

On the other hand, if you do not have heavy breasts, then a breast lift will be sufficient because it corrects sagging.

Best regards,

Lawrence Tong MD FACS FRCSC

Reduction or lift for 17 year old

+1
Breast reduction can certainly help you, and this can be performed with a lift. However you should understand that your breasts are probably still developing and will continue to do so for the next couple of years.

Please see an experienced board certified plastic surgeon for a medical consultation to find out if this is right for you. During the consultation, you'll discuss the risks associated with the procedure so you can make an informed decision. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Breast Lift or Breast Reduction

+1
There is not an age limit for breast reduction or breast lift surgery. It is best to wait at least 1 year from the time that your breast finishes growing. This will allow for optimal correction, and minimizes the possibility that you need a 2nd surgery soon afterwards. In addition to being a candidate, you will need to be able to have parental consent and provide informed consent (or have your parent's provide informed consent on your behalf). When you are ready, consult in person with 3 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Breast Reduction vs Lift at 17 years old

+1

Based on your measurements you seem to need a breast reduction. BUT I would definitely meet with a plastic surgeon and look at before and after to determine if you will be okay with the incisions. There are many issues to resolve and it is best done with both you and another family member present.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Breast Reduction Candidate?

+1

It sounds like you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery.

As  you think  about  breast reduction surgery make sure you do your homework and understand the potential risks and complications associated with  the procedure.  Unsatisfactory scarring is  one of the potential complications. Make sure you also understands that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).

On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).
Sometimes breast  reduction surgery is covered through health insurance. The best way to obtain insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery involves some “hoops” to jump through. The more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.
This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization.

Make sure you're  working with a well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

Lift versus reduction

+1
An E cup is a large breast, despite your weight and is probably disportionate to your body. If you have a lift alone, the breasts will sag as you age or if you gain and lose weight, for example, during and after pregnancy. The breast reduction procedure includes a lift so, if your insurance covers this, it might be the most cost effective option for you. See a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to clarify your options.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

You would need both

+1

If breasts are saggy, they need to be reshaped surgically. If breasts are too large, then when they are reshaped some breast tissue can be removed to achieve the size you want.

Most insurance companies have minimum ages for these procedures. Check your insurance policy.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Breast reduction for 32E breasts

+1

It sounds like you would benefit from a breast reduction.  When a reduction is done the breasts are lifted at the same time, ie you get both at once.  Reducing your breasts so they are lighter, better shaped and more proportional to your bodys size can be very helpful in preventing future problems common with large breasts, ie  back and neck pain, bra strap grooving and fungal rashes beneath your breasts.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

Breast reduction and lift in a 17 year old

+1

IT sounds as if you need BOTH a breast reduction AND a lift. This will achieve an improvement in your breast shape as well as reduce the size from an E.

Breast Reduction for 32E Breasts

+1

If you are wanting smaller breast than you would want a Breast Reduction.  The Breast Reduction will not only make them smaller but lift your breast up as well.  I would recommend this because as you get older you may experience health issues such as back or neck pains being as large as you are. 

Robert N. Young, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon