I Am 17 and I Want a Nose Job, What Can I Expect?

I hate my nose. It's not that bad from the front but when I turn to the side it comes out a lot, not with a hump it is smooth. Also I feel as if i have a hard time breathing. I am so self conscious about it and I get teased a lot about it by friends and family. So if I want to make it smaller what type of surgery would I need? What are the risks I am taking? Estimated time for recovery being that I am in school? And the approximate cost? Hope to get good answers, thanks for your time!

+1

Please share this answer with your parents.  The answers to your questions depend on numerous factors including what needs to be done to your nose and the time it takes to do so with a Rhinoplasty.  You might coinsider having a consultation (bring your parents) with an experienced Rhinoplasty Surgeon that understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial (and nasal) beauty for the creation of a naturally, more attractive nose. 

17 and I want a Nose Job

+1

Making the nose smaller and closer to the face (decreasing the nasal projection) is one of the most common requests I get from patients seeking rhinoplasty.    Your difficulty breathing may be caused by a number of factors: possible septal deviation, nasal valve issues, or inferior turbinate hypertrophy (usually associated with allergies).  Any and all these factors are correctible and these procedures  will usually be covered by your insurance company while cosmetic rhinoplasty or nasal reshaping won't.    The approximate cost for the cosmetic rhinoplasty is around $6,000.  Rhinoplasty and functional nasal surgery has  some risks including but not limited to infection and bleeding.   Overall the risks are relatively minor and occur rarely.   A detailed discussion of the risks and benefits is best done in a consultation along with digital imaging to give you a better idea of what your nose can look like.    The time for recovery is about one week.   Hope this helps. 

James C. Marotta, MD
Long Island Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wanting smaller nose

+1

It sounds like a standard rhinoplasty would address your concerns. You should make sure that your fuctional breathing concerns are evaluated as well as this can tpyically be addressed at the same time as your rhinoplasty.

Most people take about a week off to recover after surgery, though you would still have swelling at that point.

To get a better idea of your options and costs you should contact a few board certified facial plastic or plastic surgeons who have experience addressing both functional and cosmetic nasal issues.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Rhinoplasty at 17

+1

Getting your parents consent is the first step. 

A face to face consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon is the next step. 

During that consultation you and your surgeon will have a very detailed discussion after a thorough internal and external nasal exam to determine specifically what concerns you about your nose and what steps can be taken to improve upon it. 

3D and digital imagers are fun and fancy, but can also create results that may not necessarily be possible in reality due to anatomic limitations of your bone and cartilage underneath the skin. 

Before and after pictures of actual patients can be far more invaluable in your decision making. 

William A. Wallace, MD, FACS
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1

First, at 17 you would need your parent's permission to undergo surgery.  A consultation is essential.  Certainly cosmetic issues and functional issues( breathing problems) are often treated at the same time.  WIthout an exam it is difficult to say what would be the best surgical solution for your problems.  Recovery is usually one week with a spling on the nose and then some residual brusiing that may last a week or two.  Full activity like heavy gym workouts can start at 6 weeks, but you can go back to school once the splint is removed.  The cost can vary from $6-10,000 in NY.  Good luck!

Rhinoplaty (nose job)

+1

Without pictures or seeing you in person, it is difficult to give you specific advice.  However, from your description, it sounds like improvement can be made with a traditional rhinoplasty procedure.  I would suggest making an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon.  In our office we offer VECTRA 3D imaging so you can visualize your potential results in 3D during your consultation.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Properly motivated teens can be excellent candidates for rhinoplasty

+1

Your teenage years can be difficult, especially when you have features that aren't like your peers. As a minor you need to have your parents involved with any medical examination and procedures. Once you partner in that I suggest you see a rhinoplasty specialist to discuss your goals and desires. I like using computer imaging, including a new 3-D imager to simulate potential results. I feel imaging goes a long way in communicating with your sugeon on what you like and what is achieveable in rhinoplasty.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

What to expect from rhinoplasty

+1

What to expect is a very important question, and you already have ideas about what you don't like. Your surgeon may be able to use computer simulation to give you an idea of the 'best look' for you. Recovery is about a week, and summer break is a very good time to make changes. You should be able to find a well qualified practice in your area.

peterejohnsonmd.com

Rhinoplasty age 17

+1

If you are 17 years old you need to discuss the potential surgery with your parents. If they approve you can contact a plastic surgeon. 

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Profile and tip plasty

+1

Without pictures it is hard to make specific recommendations. Your description seems typical in terms of patient goals. Imaging would be helpful to further define the aesthetic you are seeking. Your question appears to suggest tgat a profile only procedure, allowing tip deprojection, might be a good option for you. 

That being said, the timeline to social acceptability in terms of healing is around 10 days. Costs are variable and hard to define without a consultation. 

Eith breathing concerns, make sure your surgeon also has expertise in functional surgery and doesn't just bring someone else in for that part. 

Best of luck

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon