I'm 17 with 34 H Breasts, 5'6?

I have grooves in my shoulders, sometimes the back of my neck becomes inflamed and reddens, I'm constantly having back and neck pain, and if my back's not in pain, my muscles are still tensed up and cause me to have frequent headaches. Painkillers no longer work. I also don't fully identify as female, (nor male). I wish my gender was no so obvious so I could live either way, or neither. They don't feel right. It's like something foreign has attached itself to my body.

Large breast are a great inconvenience

+2

At any age, breasts of H size are not a normal way to live.  There is no doubt that you have neck and back pains and it will probably get worse.  A breast reduction sounds like the best option for you.  Discuss with your parents and obtain a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.  The surgeon will inform you of the risks and benefits and you can decide if this is the right thing to do.                                                                                                      Best Wishes                                                                                                                             Dr. Peterson

Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction in a 17 year old

+2

It sounds like you are a candidate for reduction based on the symptoms that you have. But I think that you really need to explore your gender identity and base your decision on that.  We take care of lots of patients with gender identity issues and that should be your priority. Obviously, the surgery is completely different if you perform a simple reduction or if the breasts are completely removed.

Good luck.

Gil Kryger, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

I'm 17 with 34 H Breasts, 5'6?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the physical and  probable psychosocial problems your disproportionately large breasts are causing you. 
It is probable that you are dealing with juvenile breast hypertrophy along with the physical and psychosocial consequences of this diagnosis. In other words, the breasts are too large for your frame causing  both physical and psychological distress.

In my practice, timing of breast reduction surgery is determined on a case-by-case basis. It is not too early to do your homework and learn as much as possible  about  breast reduction surgery and the potential risks and complications associated with  the procedure.  Hopefully you have the support of your parents as you do your homework.

As you learn about breast reduction surgery, make sure you read about the potential risk/complications associated with the procedure. You may find the attached link helpful in this regard.  For example, unsatisfactory scarring is  one of the potential complications. Make sure you also understand that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).

On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).

Sometimes breast  reduction surgery is covered through health insurance. The best way to obtain insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery involves some “hoops” to jump through. The more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.
This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization.
 When the time is right,  seek consultation with well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Large breasts at 17

+1

It sounds like you have very large breasts that are causing multiple medical problems. A breast reduction should help with these. It also sounds like you have issues about your gender which may or may not be related to the size of your breasts. I think you are more likely to have a satisfactory outcome if you at least  address  the gender issues first. A medical professional is probably best able to help you with these. If you can't talk with your parents about your concerns, your regular doctor or another trusted adult may be able to help you find the right professional. Or you could have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who could make a referral.  Good luck to you.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon