Is 16 Too Young for Eyelid Surgery?

I am 16 years old and within the past month or so my left eyelid had dropped significantly lower then my right eyelid. It was not like this 3 months ago (I have compared pictures) and it lays just above the pupil.

The difference is noticable by others, teachers have talked to me about 'giving them mean/annoyed looks' when I am not. It is only one eye, and because it has dropped fast I fear it may block my vision soon. Is there a reason why this happened or how can it be fixed?

Increasing Ptosis Should Be Investigated

+2

You should see an Ophthalmological surgeon for evaluation of the cause of increasing droop of your eyelid.

Diagnostic examination and tests should reveal the cause and appropriate treatment.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Drooping Eyelid - Consult Opthamologist

+1

What you describe needs to be properly evaluated by an opthalmologist as this does not sound typical.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Droopy Eyelid in 16 year-old

+1

While droopy eyelids typically occur with natural aging, they may also occur in young patients and teenagers as well. Droopy eyelid treatment, or ptosis repair, typically involves surgery of the upper eyelid. Some patients might be candidates for eye drops. You should first be evaluated by an Ophthalmologist to help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid drooping

+1

Dear Jesi,

I agree with the other docs, you may want to get it checked out.  It may something else that is going on that surgery would not be right for you.  16 is very young to have eyelid surgery, so see an ophthamologist or oculoplastic surgeon and they can examine you and answer all of your questions.

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Eyelid droop is called ptosis of the eyelid

+1

The drooping you have developed needs to be investigated for its cause and surgery to correct it should not be done until other conditions are fully considered. A MRI may well be needed but a good oculoplastic surgeon should get involved with your care for advice and possible treatment.

Harlow Hollis, MD
Victoria Plastic Surgeon

Appropriate age for Blepharoplasty

+1

It's not normal for a 16 year old to have true eyelid ptosis of the upper eyelid which is what you are describing.  You should have your parents take you for a consultation and evaluation at an opthalmologist.

Drooping eyelid at age 16

+1

Your droop in one eye is called ptosis, and since you did not have the condition as a young person the ptosis is acquired rather than congenital. The trouble talking about surgery is not knowing the cause. An acquired ptosis can come from a viral illness, even influenza, and can also be neurogenic, or a nerve weakness as with conditions such as myasthenia, or possibly MS. Before you look into surgery, you should have a full evaluation by your primary care physician, and then an ophthalmologist to get to the bottom of things.

peterejohnsonmd

Droopy eyelid treatment.

+1

This sounds like ptosis of the eyelid(sag). See an oculoplastic surgeon in your area for evaluation and treatment.

Functional eyelid surgery is performed at any age.

+1
Based on what you are describing, an examination by an oculoplastic surgeon is reasonable. They will examine you and discuss your options with you and your parents. The American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery maintains a web site with a geographic directory that will help you find a highly qualified eyelid surgeon (ASOPRS.org).

Drooping eyelid

+1

It is difficult to tell you exactly what is going on with your eyelid without an examination.  However it sounds like you probably have ptosis (drooping of the eyelid).  There are many causes of ptosis and the treatment depends on the cause.  I would suggest that you see an ophthalmic plastic surgeon for an evaluation.  You can ask your regular eye doctor for a recommendation.  I can also recommend Dr. David Auerbach who is an expert in the field and has offices in the Orlando area.

Marc Cohen, MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon