16 Year Old Implants Have Capsular Contracture Starting, Just Found out I Have MS. Is Surgery Ok? (photo)

I am thinking positively about being recently diagnosed with MS. I will be starting treatments and seeing a neurologist in 4 days. My probable contracture in 16 year old saline implants is starting to bother me, as per my last post. How, if at all, will MS affect how my surgery will be handled and after care? I will be talking to a surgeon very soon but I am impatient. Thank you so much for your time :)

Surgery with MS / Cirugia en paciente con Esclerosis Multiple

+2

You should be able to have surgery to remove your implants with a diagnosis of MS.  You will of course need to get a medical clearance.  The healing process should not be an issue with this diagnosis.  Your attitude with this disease is extremely important.  STAY POSITIVE!!

Good luck and thank you for your question.

Sincerely,

Anire Okpaku MD

Usted puede calificar para una cirugia de remocion de implantes aun teniendo Esclerosis Multiple pero claro su medico de cabecera lo deve de aprobar.  El proceso de sanamiento no deve de ser un problema aun con su diagnostico. Su actitud con relaccion a este tipo de enfermedad es extremamente importante asi que mantengase positive.

Suerte y gracias por la pregunta.

Atentamente,

Anire Okpaku MD

Breast Surgery after Diagnosis of Multiple Sclerosis?

+2

You should be congratulated on your positive attitude after being diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. Hopefully, you will do well with treatment and will be able to have breast surgery performed in the near future. The neurologist may have specific recommendations for your chosen plastic surgeon.

MS and plastic surgery

+2

Hi there-

As long as you are in generally good health, and the management of your MS does not require medication that impair healing, there should be no reason you cannot proceed with management of your contracted and old implants.

Discuss timing with your rheumatologist for maximum safety.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Multiple sclerosis and plastic surgery

+2

I understand that the new diagnosis of MS can be a little daunting.  I would suggest that you speak with your neurologist and start your treatment plan.  I have had many patients with MS who lead active lives.  Once your MS is under control, you can speak with your plastic surgeon about removing and replacing your old implants.  Make sure that you discuss your MS and all the medications that you are taking with your plastic surgeon and anesthesiologist.  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Multiple Sclerosis and Plastic Surgery

+2

Multiple Sclerosis is not a contraindication for  plastic surgery. Have your plastic surgeon consult with your neurologist re: the best timing for this approach for your particular case. 

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

MS and Surgery

+2

As far as the surgery is concerned I have taken care of many patients with MS.  Most of my concern would be with anesthesia.  Before having any surgery I would complete your workup for the MS and be on the right medication.  Then, I would speak to the anesthesiologist and have him or her talk to the neurologist to determine which types of anesthesia is best for you.  Remember, many of the cases of MS are mild and hopefully you will be one of those.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

16 Year Old Implants Have Capsular Contracture Starting, Just Found out I Have MS. Is Surgery Ok?

+2

Best to obtain a clearance from your MS doctor in writing to take to the chosen boarded PS you plan on using.