DD Breasts at 16 - Can I Get a Reduction?

im 16 should i have breast reduction? i weight about 145 in 5'6 and im a 34DD my back pains are getting worse and worse everyday

Breast Reduction for 16 year old?

+1

It sounds like  you are dealing with juvenile breast hypertrophy along with the physical and psychosocial consequences of this diagnosis. In other words, the breasts are too large for the frame causing  both physical and psychological distress.

As  you think  about  breast reduction surgery make sure you do your homework and understand the potential risks and complications associated with  the procedure.  Unsatisfactory scarring is  one of the potential complications. Make sure you also understands that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).

On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).
Sometimes breast  reduction surgery is covered through health insurance. The best way to obtain insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery involves some “hoops” to jump through. The more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.
This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization.

Make sure you are  working with a well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

Breast reduction at 16

+1

You may be a good candidate for a breast reduction provided that you are of adult size and are no longer growing and have regular menses.  You would need a parent's consent.

Breast reduction in a 17 year old

+1

First discuss this as a medical problem with your mother and pediatrician. They will be able to offer you advice about your candidacy for the procedure. At your age, you are a bit early to consider the procedure but if your growth has stablilized, it is not unreasonable to begin the education process in preparation for the procedure

Breast reduction at what age

+1

If you have significant problems with the size of your breasts, then a breast reduction can be done at almost any age. There is a small possibility that they could "re-grow" after a reduction but unusual. Many times your insurance will cover the surgery. We obtain a pre-authorization for the patient.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Age for Breast Reduction

+1

I agree that in some cases there is continued growth of the breasts at your age.  If, however, there has not been a significant change in your breast size in the past 2 years, you could probably go ahead and have your surgery at this time.

John Whitt, MD

Wait until breasts have stoppped growing before having breast reduction.

+1

Hi.

For most girls your age, the breasts are still growing.  So you should wait to have breast reduction.  Otherwise, may have to do it again.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Should does not count in plastic surgery

+1

Cosmetic surgery is elective,no one needs a reduction. Speak to your parents, speak to a board certified plastic surgeon and then make an educated decision. This is elective surgery.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD