I'm 16 and I Had a C-section, and Now Have a "Mother's Apron". Could I Have a Tummy Tuck?

I have no medical problems, other than that I am overweight after having my child. My weight doesn't fluctuate. My belly now hangs over my incision, and sometimes it causes irritation. None of the exercises I have tried seem to work.. So, I'd like to know if I could be a candidate for a tummy tuck in the Dallas area.

Not a candidate

+2

At 16 you need a little more maturity and you should finish having children before you think about cosmetic surgery. Take care of your child first and then worry about your body.

Tummy Tuck at 16

+1

While many people will tell you, 16 is too youndg for a tummy tuck, I disagree.  It sounds like you have worked hard to get back your body after your pregnancy and you are now left with some extra skin that will not go away.  There is no advantage to carrying that skin around for a few years waiting to turn some arbitrary number in order to remove it.  IF you are ready now, I think you should do it now.  The one thing is that you will need a parent or legal guardian give consent for the surgery.  Good luck.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Surgery

+1

If you have reached a ideal weight for your height and still have hanging skin then a parental consent is necessary prior to proceeding further and this is with great trepidation...

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Post c-section tummy tuck

+1
I would recommend that you hold off on a tummy tuck until childbearing is completed. Since you don't have medical problems, the big question now is whether you have the financial resources and child care support necessary to undergo surgery. Also, at 16, parental consent would be required unless you are legally emancipated.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Tummy tuck after C-section

+1

There is no reason anatomically that you couldn't have a tt.  I think it is safe to say that most ps's don't like to perform this operation on women who intend to have additional children, as this will compromise the result. 

That said, you could still have a tt.  Another option, which I feel would be better for you (I don't know enough about you to be 100% sure) is a panniculectomy.  This removes the skin/fat apron without tightening the muscles.  When the time comes that you have no more children, a tummy tuck can be done with tightening and sculpting of the muscles, plus, they shouldn't stretch out.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Tummy Tuck Candidate at 16 Years of Age?

+1

Thank you for the question.  Although it is not possible to give you precise advise without much more information, some general thoughts may be helpful to you.

The “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable,  has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her,  is capable of arranging enough recovery time and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

I would suggest that you consider the above concerns and time  any planned tummy tuck surgery accordingly.

16 year old and Tummy Tuck

+1

Normally, a 16 year old would not be a tummy tuck candidate.  However, after pregnancy or weight loss you may be a candidate.  The best results from a tummy tuck are achieved by obtaining your goal weight and then removing the skin apron.  Good luck.

Could I Have a Tummy Tuck?

+1

It sounds like you have findings that would make you a good candidate for a tummy tuck. You will have a better result if you can get down to your desired weight before having the surgery. You would probably need parental consent since you are under 18.

Best bet is a consultation with a plastic surgeon. 

When you ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S. Thank you for your question, best wishes.