Will a 1.5mm Silastic Nasal Implant Be Adequate for Asian Rhinoplasty?

It was suggested that I use a 1.5mm high silastic implant to raise my nose brige and give it definition.

While it did look good fitted on the outside of my nose, I am wondering if this height will make the expected changes that I wanted after surgery. The next height above the 1.5mm nasal implant is 3.5mm.

Is it possible to shave or reduce this 3.5mm implant to 2.5mm?

1.5mm nasal implant usually not sufficient for Asian rhinoplasty

+2

Typically 1.5-mm augmentation nasal implant will not be enough and will not suffice for augmentation rhinoplasty in the Asian nose. We prefer the 3.5-mm Flowers nasal dorsal implant, which in most cases gives an adequate projection to the bridge of the nose without making it look overdone. It is very hard to carve down the implants to 2.5 mm because of the thickness and irregularities of the implant once altered.

Silicone nasal implants: size

+1

I would tend to agree with you. A 1.5 mm implant is equivalent to 1/16 of an inch. In my opinion that would be barely discernible. It is possible it could make a visual diffrerence but it would be quite subtle. Implants can be carved or contoured and comein a variety of sizes. It likely would be very difficult for you to tell the diffference between a 2.5 to 3.5 mm implant on the one hand. On the other hand, your incidence of complications are likely lowe with a lower profile implant.

Silastic implants in Asian noses.

+1

You can have any size made or carved to fit. A more important consideration is the chances of infection with a foreign implant. Though many surgeons use these, I have used the patients own cartilage for 35 years without any infection.

Nasal implants can be customized for each patient

+1

Rhinoplasty is a delicate procedure. Nasal implants are commonly used for Asian noses since many need height. Some may need as little as 1.5 mm. Others require more. Even though the implants come in standard sizes, we often carve them to fit the patent's needs. There is a company in California that can actually make custom implants as well.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Nasal Augmentation with Silastic Implants

+1

Hi,

It all depends on how high you want your dorsum. This can be assessed with computer imaging. Pre-formed silastic implants have the disadvantage of only having specific dimensions. A custom carved implant can have any dimensions and is usually carved at the time of surgery to fit exactly to the patients needs.

Consider a custom carved silastic implant.

Dr. S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS