Is 15 to Young for Breast Reduction?

My daughter is having extermly painful sholder and back pains. Also she comes home crying everyday because of teaseing and the pain. She's tall but still has very large breast. She's been begging for a year to get a reduction. Is she too young?

Breast Reduction for 15 Year Old?

+1

Thank you for the question. I'm glad to hear that your daughter has your support;  this  this will be very helpful to her.

It sounds like she is dealing with juvenile breast hypertrophy along with the physical and psychosocial consequences of this diagnosis. In other words, the breasts are too large for the frame causing  both physical and psychological distress.

As   she thinks  about  breast reduction surgery make sure  she does her homework and understands the potential risks and complications associated with  the procedure.  Make sure she also understands that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).

On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).
Sometimes a procedure is covered through health insurance. The best way to obtain insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery involves some “hoops” to jump through. The more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.
This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization.

Make sure you're  working with a well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

15 and a breast reduction

+1

If your daughter is of adult height and is not growing anymore, she may be a candidate for breast reduction if she is very large. A consult would be appropriate.

Breast Reduction Surgery in Teens

+1

As Plastic surgeons we prefer for growth to be completed and for the patient to be mature with reasonable expectations. I might add that I would also like to see world peace, honest politicians and an professional sports played gentlemanly and devoid of tattoos. BUT - "you can't always get what you want..."

In cases such as your daughter's we need to weigh the consequences of waiting with REAL long-lasting psychological trauma to your daughter against the real but lesser risk of operating now and having to re-operate on her in a few years due to an entity we call Virginal Breast Hypertrophy.

Your daughter should not be begging for the operation. Instead, you and her need to work as a team. I would discuss it with your Pediatrician AND a Plastic surgeon(s). Have her and you plan it together and you will grow closer together as well as reach the right decision for her.

Good Luck.

Dr. Aldea

Breast reduction in a 15 year old?

+1

This is not too young but the critical question is: Has sh achieved a stable growth curve and has the size of her breasts plateaued? Your pediatrician could helpo you answer this question. Early surgery could result in the need for more surgery if the growth continues but she otherwise sounds like a reasonable candidate for the procedure. Seek the services of a board certified plastic surgeon.