Is 15 Years Old Too Young for Breast Reduction?

i went to get a consultation yesterday, and the doctor told me to wait. im a 36D i have all the symptoms of big breasts. (sagging, back,neck, and shoulder pain etc) should i wait or find another doctor?

15 years oo young for bresat reduction

the age of 15 is not the main criteria.  Of course you need your parent's permission to have surgery. If you have symptomatic macromastia because of larger breasts you may be a candidate.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Schedule an appointment with a PS-- Learn more. (Bring your parents!)

Not only do you have large breasts at an early age, but you’re already suffering from significant symptoms. I generally prefer to wait until the breasts have stopped growing before proceeding with breast reduction, but in your case early intervention may be appropriate because of your symptoms.
I recommend a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.Obviously, your parents need to be involved in the process as well.Breast reduction has significant benefits and patients who undergo the procedure at an early age experience the benefits over a lifetime.
There are downsides as well.These include the potential inability to breast feed, prolonged healing, decreased nipple sensation and scarring.In my experience, patients who undergo breast reduction at an early age, not only experience relief of their symptoms but also an improved quality of life.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

8900 West Dodge Road
Omaha, NE 68114

What Age for Breast Reduction

I think your doctor probably gave you good advice. It sounds like eventually you may be a good candidate for a Breast Reduction. I would recommend waiting until you have ffinal breast growth which usually occurs from age 18-21 for a more predictable result. Other considerations is the potential inability to breast feed after surgery.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

3991 MacArthur Boulevard
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Breast Reduction at a young age?

Dear TA222,
In general, breasts will stop 'growing' when all other hormone related phenomenon from puberty stop changing. Some women have early puberty and early finishing of these changes, and some women have later and a more prolonged course. However, any changes to hormone levels, such as in pregnancy, nursing, etc. can change breasts, OCP may change growth, certain tumors may affect growth, weight gain will affect size, etc. The breast is composed of the breast gland that grows related to hormone levels of estrogen and prolactin as well as other hormones, but some women's breast tissue have more 'hormone receptors' than other women's and thus are more sensitive to hormone levels. That is why the hormone creams etc do not work on someone who naturally have smaller breasts because they are less sensative to hormones. In addition, the breast is also composed of fat tissue which grows and shrinks with weight gain and loss. Not only that, but having a higher bodyfat % actually increases your estrogen production. There is an enzyme in fat called aromatase that converts pre-cursors into estrogen. So having more of this enzyme can cause your breasts to continue to grow even if your weight is stable. So there is no simple answer here. It sounds like you have had an early course and continuing to grow. Only time will tell. If you are uncomfortable with your size or are having back pain, neck pain, rashes under breasts etc. then you may consider breast reduction. If you continue to grow, this can be repeated down the road.  Age is not the major factor here, but know that if you do have a reduction now, you will probably need another one later as well.
Best Wishes!
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

8900 Raintree
Scottsdale, AZ 85260

Breast Reduction for Teenager

It sounds like you may be dealing with juvenile breast hypertrophy along with the physical and psychosocial consequences of this diagnosis. In other words, the breasts are too large for the frame causing  both physical and psychological distress.

You may be 1 to 2  years away from breast reduction surgery;  this will give you time to do your homework and understand the potential risk and consultations associated with breast reduction surgery. You also understand that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).

On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).

I would suggest an in-person consultation with several well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeon. Best wishes.

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942

Breast Reduction Age

Age is not as much of a factor in breast reduction as are symptoms.  back pain, neck pain, and shoulder grooving are frequently cited indications for breast reductions.  Sagging is not.  Beware that this is often considered a reconstructive rather than an aesthetic surgery.  Breast reduction may lead to significant scarring.  Be certain that you are aware of the visual outcome of this procedure prior to embarking upon it.  If it is truly painful and a daily burden, then you should consider it.  Hope this helps.  Good luck!

Jason R. Hess, MD

4060 4th Ave
San Diego, CA 92103

Is 15 years old too young for a breast reduction?

When breasts are too large and cause back pain, bra strap grooving, rashes under the fold and these problems can not be relieved by conservative treatment, breast reduction surgery may be indicated at this age. The person must be mature enough to comply with and understand the risks and benefits of the surgery. Parental consent is also needed. At age 15 the breast may still get larger. I recommend reducing the breast cup to b cup. If the breasts grow a great deal more another breast reduction may be required in the future.

Sheila Bond, MD
Montclair Plastic Surgeon

39 South Fullerton Ave
Montclair, NJ 07042

Breast reduction at age 15

You may also want to discuss this with your pediatrician. Generally you should defer surgery until your growth curve has staiblized in order to avoid unnecessary repetitive surgery from recurrent or persstent growth of the breast.

880 W Central Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60005

15 Years Old Too Young for Breast Reduction

To answer your question directly - NO age is not the main issue. But you still need parental approval. Best too see in person with a parent a boarded plastic surgeon in Tucson. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski, 305 598 0091

6330 Manor Lane
Miami, FL 33143

Have breast reduction after your breasts stop growing.

If you have surgery, and your breasts continue to grow, then you may need another reduction later. Except in very unusual cases, we don't do breast reductions on 15 year olds.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

875 Park Ave at 78th Street
New York, NY 10075