15 Year Old - Fat Transfer for Dark Circles/Under Eye Hollows?

I'm 15 years old but can't wait anymore. I have dark circles that are sunken in and hallow, and I have lines and milia. No amount of sleep/makeup hides them. I have very deep hallow under my eyes, which I have noticed in my dad/aunt but they have no darkness. I've had them since I was very young and I really want to get rid of them. I've heard fat transfer can do it. I'm really interested in that.

Avoid Fat Injections for Hollow Eyes

+3

Thank you for your email. First, you are too young to have a cosmetic procedure. Your facial structure is not fully developed and any invasive procedure could have a negative effect on future growth and development.

I avoid injections into and around the eyelids in most cases of dark circles and hollow eyes.

Loss of injected fat and lumps are common problems with injections and the eyelid skin is so thin that lumps are quite visible.

I am also concerned about injury to delicate eyelid structures by repeated injections, especially when they are done by inexperienced physicians with no training in eyelid surgery.

Hollowness and darkness of lower eyelids

+2

you should see a boardcertified oculoplastic or plastic surgeon who has a great experience in correction of hollow lower eyelids. Fat injections may be very visible as unsightly lumps that could be hard to correct. You could have a treatment for a condition that you don't like, only to find out that you start seeing a mutitude of doctors who try to correct a poor result from a treatment. You may need your face to mature a few more years before a plastic surgeon is willing to operate. Occasionally, a filler such as Restylane might be tried, but nothing is risk-free.

Ronald Shelton, MD

I would do Restylane or a temporary filler as a better option for you

+1

in short, you are too young to have fat transfer.  anyone in their teenage years risks gaining weight as she or he ages and that can prove problematic since the fat is truly a graft and is weight dependent.  because of your age i would go with temporary fillers like restylane.  i did a Restylane injection in a 15 year old with severe eye bags whom I saw a few years later and she still has almost 90% of her result holding.  I truly believe that in static areas like under the eyes, fillers like Restylane can have tremendous staying power and after a few rounds can actually last years, as I see in many of mine own staff.

Samuel Lam, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dark Circle and Under Eye Hollow Treatment for Teenagers

+1

Hi Lonelygurl,

Dark circles and lower eyelid bags or hollows are relatively common problems that all patients seek cosmetic improvement. Generally, options include eyelid plastic surgery and/or non-surgical treatments such as fat injections or hyaluronic acid fillers (Restylane or Juvederm).

However, as most other plastic surgeons have already stated, cosmetic surgery for the lower eyelid area should be avoided in teenagers primarily as the face continues to change rapidly in this time frame. Better options for teenagers include basic skin care and chemical peels to help improve the skin condition and reduce dark circles. Only after a comprehensive evaluation can a eyelid plastic surgeon help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat Transfer in the Lower Eyelids

+1

Fat transfer is a very effective method to improve contour deformities in many areas.  The lower eyelid/cheek junction is an appropriate area for fat transfer.  Your age on the other hand is NOT appropriate for cosmetic surgery.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Tear trough

+1

I would recommend a finer and reversible filler for the under eyes hollows (tear troughs), namely Restylane.  The eyelid skin is very thin and the fat can show through and it is practically irreversible.

Dr Taban

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fat Transfer for Under Eye Hollow in a Teenager

+1

Fat injections is a powerful treatment option for tear trough hollows.

Nonetheless, I would recommend to hold off with fat grafting, primarily because of your age.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon