15 Year Old Getting a Breast Reduction?

Hi I'm Nicole. I'm 15 years old and wear a size 36DD or DDD. I'm 5"1 and weigh 110 pounds. I'm very self conscious about my breast size as they are not proportional to the rest of my small, skinny body. Having these large breast cause awful posture (So bad posture people call me "grandma" and I don't have scoliosis). I get awful back pain walking around my school campus all while getting remarks about my breasts. I'm at my ideal weight and in good health. I understand risks & really want this.

Breast reduction?

+1

Thank you for your question!  I hope that these answers help in making your decision.  You suffer from juvenile hypertrophy of the breasts, which is typically treated by breast reduction.  It is not uncommon to have the symptoms that you describe such as neck/back/shoulder pain as well as infections/rashes and shoulder grooving, especially in teenagers once her breasts begin to fully develop.  The decision of whether to proceed as well as the timing will ultimately be yours.

Once one begins to have the symptoms that you state above, consideration for a surgical procedure to ameliorate your symptoms, assist with self esteem, and allow you to get back to physical activities in your youth should be done.  Given your symptoms,  you would be an ideal candidate.  You must first discuss with your parents and pediatrician, and then consulting with a plastic surgeon for evaluation and examination to assist you in deciding if this would be the right thing for you.  Your surgeon will also go over what to expect as well as the risks and benefits of the procedure - it is a safe procedure.  Overall, your symptoms should be ameliorated almost immediately and hopefully give you more self confidence and an increased activity level.  Your breasts may still continue to grow over the next several years, but it is certainly reasonable to consider this at this age with the issues that you are having.  I hope that this helps!  Good luck with your decision!

Breast reduction in a minor

+1

are done with your parent's consent and your acknowledgement that having the procedure will  result in scars and diminish or eliminate your ability to breast feed.  You could lose sensation to your nipples and you could still grow in size necessitating more procedures in the future.  If you are willing to accept this to improve our quality of life, then it can be done.  Talk to your parents and see a local plastic surgeon for a consultation.  There are different methods of doing the reduction and make sure your surgeon has more than one way to do this.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast reduction for a 15 year old

+1

It is a reasonable consideration. You should discuss this with your parents and have them go on a consult with a plastic surgeon.  Not all plastic surgeons would perform the surgery at your age, but many would, depending on the severity and circumstances.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Breast Reduction for 15 Year Old

+1

If you are fifteen and have very large breasts, breast reduction may be an appropriate procedure. It's important to be sure expectations are realistic and you have an understanding of the commitment needed for the healing process. Make sure that you understand the nature of your surgery, the recovery process, and that you feel comfortable and emotionally ready to make these changes to your body.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Breast reduction in teens

+1

I have performed breast reductions on teenagers on a number of occasions, and it can change your life if you are sufficiently bothered by your breast size.  I like to be sure that a young lady is mature enough to understand what we are doing to her breasts and what the implications are for things like breast feeding in the future and the like.  If you meet these criteria, I think breast reduction can be a life changing experience.

Joseph L. Grzeskiewicz, MD

Breast reduction in teenager can be done

+1

Thank you for your question. Very large breasts in a person of your height and weight is very troublesome. I have done a lot of surgeries on people that are your age. As a surgeon, we like to make sure that the breast is not growing anymore and that you understand the scars associated with the surgery. There are reports of people whose breast grew after the reduction and the procedure had to be repeated. This is extremely rare. One contributing factor to how much can be removed is the degree of ptosis (droop) of the breast and the density of the breast tissue. It can be difficult to reduce some younger breasts as much as the patient wants due to these factors. Hopefully your plastic surgeon can give you an idea of how big you will be afterward and what percentage of the existing breast will be removed. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Breast reduction at 15

+1

If you are of adult height and no longer growing, based upon your history it sounds like you m ay be a good candidate for a breast reduction. you probably need to go for a consult with your parent's permission.

Breast reduction for teens. It's not for everyone.

+1

Many physicians are conservative with mammoplasty on teenage girls, and insurance companies may be less likely to approve procedures for patients under 21.  At 15 years old the breast has not fully developed and additional revisions or reductions could be required in the future after the breasts have fully developed. Your body and frame may change in other ways through your teens. If you decide surgery is right for you make sure you address these issues with your surgeon and have a good understanding of what to expect from surgery and recovery.

Sarah A. Mess, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Teenage Breast Reduction

+1

I think you are very reasonable.  The reason not to have a breast reduction is maturity.  If making a permanent change to your body is too overwhelming then it is better to wait.  Having said that, I have many young women in their teens who have had life changing experiences after having a breast reduction.

Jeffrey Ditesheim, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Teenage Breast Reductions

+1
  • Surgery is often a very good option for women who have discomfort related to their large breasts.  Teenagers with very large breasts, such as you have, may consider a breast reduction.  Having very large breasts as a teenager can be troubling for many reasons. In addition to back, neck, and shoulder pain, some young women also suffer emotionally as well. 
  • Having the largest breasts in one's junior high school/middle school can negatively impact self-esteem.  Playing sports such as volleyball or running track is also really difficult and can be uncomfortable.  The youngest patients I have performed breast reductions for were 15 years old. Their parents and pediatricians were very supportive of their decision, and after their breast reduction they were able to more easily enjoy the sports at school that they were so fond of.  Additionally, these young women were a lot less self-conscious after the operation. 
  • Our biggest concern with performing a breast reduction on a patient as young as yourself is the possible need for another breast reduction down the road.  It is possible that your breasts will continue to get larger, and you may desire another breast reduction in the future. 
  • Definitely meet with a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss the operation in detail.

Best of luck to you!

Joshua Cooper, MD, FACS