15 Weeks Pregnant with Moderate Growing Mole on Belly. Can Removal Wait?

I am 15 weeks pregnant, a skin biopsy shows a moderately changing and growing mole on my belly about one inch away from belly button. I have had a melanoma in situ removed in the past from my arm that they thought was a moderate growing mole at first.I am concerned about the healing process with a stretching and growing belly if I have the removal done now, would it be okay to wait untill I have the baby in 6 months?

Excising an atypical mole during pregnancy

+2

In my opinion, you should have the procedure now rather than waiting. The risks of a small amount of lidocaine during pregnancy are minimal and it is better to have the procedure sooner rather than later. In my office, we will do an excision with suture closure to get clear margins for all moles that have moderate to severe atypia. This is especially important in someone like you with a previous history of melanoma.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Mole removal

+1

If you have a history of melanoma in situ and if you have a suspicious growth, I would encourage you to have the lesion removed sooner than later.  

Sam Naficy, MD

Changing Mole During Pregnancy

+1

Short answer would be "don't wait." Moles or nevi may change during pregnancy, but a nevus that stands out from the rest should be biopsied. And a nevus that is found to be atypical should be re-excised. Of course, talk to your obstetrician and get their input as to when to proceed with surgery (most would have no problem with allowing surgery during pregnancy). You have a history of melanoma; you have an atypical nevus; it should be excised. Don't wait.

Andrew Kaufman, MD

Controversial questions, but I would err on the side of caution

+1

Moderately dysplastic nevi are somewhat controversial lesions and you will probably see several dermatologists give you different answers on whether they need to be removed or not. 

In your case, you have a history of melanoma in situ.  In my opinion, that changes what I would do.  I would get it removed.  The risks of local anesthesia are minimal in pregnancy (lidocaine is category B by itself).  Therefore, I believe that the risk to the baby is minimal.   I would not be too concerned about the scarring.  A minimal excision with rather small margins (2mm) is usually adequate for moderately dysplastic nevi.  The surgical site should heal fine.

Brent Spencer, MD
Frisco Dermatologic Surgeon