Are 15 Units of Botox Enough for Frown Lines?

I received 15 units of Botox 2 days ago for my frown lines ('11"). I still frown and don't feel much paralysis to the muscels and frown lines are still there.

More Time

+3

2 Days is awfully short a time for Botox to work. Occasionally it might even take two weeks. So in this regard I would be patient.

As far as 15 units working for the 11's, it would work, provided they are not too deep. I would say that this would be the minimum, however, to cause any true effect.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

15 units for glabellar frown lines

+2

15 units may be adequate for your glabellar frown lines but the effects of Botox typically are not seen until 4-7 days after the injection so for you not to have noticed anything at 2 days is normal.

The effects of Botox peak at about 2 weeks so that would be a good time to assess whether you feel you would like more units. The effects last on average 3-4 months. Botox first works on the "dynamic lines" (present with muscle movement); with a series of injections, the "static lines" (present at rest) will also begin to "iron out."

I hope you enjoy the effects. Good luck!

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

15 units of Botox is a good dose for the 11's

+2

Dear Magg813

First let me commend you for actually knowing the dose of BOTOX you were treated with. Ethical offices will make it a point of informing their patients of the dose of BOTOX they are getting. This makes it much easier to compare services between offices. Often I find that the dose is not know and even more bizarre the information may not be in the medical record.

For most women, 15 units is a good starting dose for the worry line area. However, how the BOTOX is placed will have some impact on the treatment effect. Assuming the dose was concentrated into the muscle groups responsible for the worry lines, you should do fine.

Now it is important to understand that the treatment effect is not instantaneous. At 24 or 48 hours it is not uncommon to be aware of some treatment effect. However, it takes a full three weeks to see the maximal effect of the BOTOX treatment.

I generally encourage all of my BOTOX patients to come back for a three follow up so we can review the before and after results. I find that this visit is very helpful so that patients understand how treatment affected their appearance.

Good luck and let us know how you did once treatment had time to take effect.

Botox starts working in 4-5 days, and 15 units should give you some effect.

+2

Thanks for your question.

Botox usually takes 4-5 days to even start working, and approximately 2 weeks to see the final effect. Two days is too early to notice the beneficial effects of Botox. In another 3 days you'll see and feel it working, and in two weeks, you can completely assess how well it worked for you.

In regards to the amount, 15 units will cause some degree of relaxation and may be the perfect amount for you. Personally speaking, I usually do 20 units (5 injections of 4 units), and go up to 25 in some male patients with particularly strong glabellar movement. Depending on the strength and size of your muscles, 15 units might turn out to work very well.

Good luck!

Don Mehrabi, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

You may need more Botox

+2

Give the present dose of Botox a full week before you make any judgements.

Having said that, we use anywhere between 20-25 units for significant frown lines ( 11s). We have occasionally used 16 units on a very mild set of lines, also with success.

However, if you go by averages, it is likely you may need more.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Botox for the frown lines

+1

The amount of Botox required for the frown lines depends on the individual and the strength of the muscles.  Fifteen units may be enough for you but you need to wait 2 weeks to see the full effect.  If you are not happy with your result at that time, return to your physician for assessment and possibly further treatment.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Are 15 units of Botox enough

+1

I generally inject 24-30 units to get great results and longevity of results, but it depends on your age, strength of muscles, etc. Best to wait 2 full weeks before coming to conclusions about the results.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox in frown lines

+1

2 days is way to early to see a good effect from Botox. It takes about 5 -7 days for the full effect.

15 units of Botox for frown lines

+1

Hi Magg,

15 units of Botox for the "11" lines between the eyes is on the low side. Depending on the depth of the wrinkles and the amount of muscle movement, it's possible that this is enough for proper correction.

It's also possible that your results will be short lived because the amount is on the low side. We typically inject between 15-25 units, but tend to err on the high side of that range because the duration is better which leads to higher patient satisfaction with the procedure. Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Which Lines are You Referring Too?

+1

First of all 2 days is too soon to get paralysis from Botox. The minimum time for paralysis to set in is 3 days and we usually tell patients 3-5 days. If you're talking about the lines between your eyes then 15 units will suffice. I typically use 25 now but used 15 for years with fine results. If you're talking about the forehead than 15 units is absolutely not enough. For foreheads I recommend 30-50 units depending on the severity.

Wait the 5 days then decide what to do.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon