Can Forehead Lipoma Be Removed Without Cosmestic Surgery?

1.5"  Diameter Lipoma Center Forehead. 

Dermatologist sent me to Plastic Surgeon who says I need to have head shaved and an insertion made in hairline to remove lipoma. Another Dermatologist told me to have the tissue liposuctioned. Thanks. Dan

Forehead Lipoma?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

Direct excision of the lipoma  with a transverse incision above the lesion is a relatively straightforward procedure. I would agree that it is your best interests to have it directly excised  as opposed to having liposuctioning performed.

Forehead Lipoma treatment

+1

This is a slam dunk for you and a qualified plastic surgeon. These  are usually deep to the muscle and may leave you much more bruised if you attempt liposuction. Secondly liposuction removal is less accurate and does not give us the assurance that all has been removed. Lastly, a small scar can easily be hidden in your transverse brow natural lines that make  the scar much less noticeable. Your recovery will be quick.

Charles Virden, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

+1

As young surgeons we are taught to first diagnose and then select a treatment. Although your assumption that this is a fatty benign tumor (lipoma) is probably correct, it COULD also be another tumor such as a sebaceous or an inclusion cyst or in rare cases something rarer or even a malignancy. The ONLY way to precisely tell what this is is to have a representative piece examined microscopically by a pathologist. This would require removal or a biopsy.

If we play the odds that it is a benign tumor and want the forehead flattened, the mass must be removed. It cannot be flattened nonsurgically. The question then becomes how to best do so. If you are not accepting of a scar hidden in your horizontal wrinkle lines which would allow complete removal of the mass, then the only solution is to place a tiny incision in the hairline and liposuction this out. I have done this with great results but I always warn my patients that the mass may come back and that IF the pathology comes back as cancer, we have significantly complicated matters by removing it from a distant incision. This has not turned to be the case.

Good Luck.

Peter a Aldea, MD
Memphis, Tennessee

Facial Lipoma Removal

+1

Lipomas are typically removed with surgery, to ensure complete removal and to allow the tissue to be sent to the pathology laboratory for testing. Facial plastic surgeons can help remove lipomas with small or hidden incisions that usually heal well. Liposuction is generally not recommended for lipomas. Only after a comprehensive evaluation can a specialist help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Forehead lipoma

+1

it can be removed directly with an incision over the lipoma by any surgeon.

you will just a have a faint scar on your forehead.

if you want it removed via the scalp without the forehead scar you will probably need a plastic surgeon

you dont have to shave though. i do this all the time without shaving.

if done with an incision directly over lipoma on forehead it takes me 10 minutes under local anesthesia in the office to do it.

the no scar way takes a bit longer and needs to be done in the o.r.

liposuction dont do. it wont work.

Timothy Mountcastle, MD
Ashburn General Surgeon