I'm 15 and May Be Getting a Breast Reduction: What is the Estimated Healing Time?

I am 15 with 34DD, and in a week I will be talking to a surgeon about getting a breast reduction, And before that happens I was just wondering the Estimated time for healing and when I would be able to get back to school?

I have Scoliosis, and my breasts cause me severe neck should and back pain, which all lead to extreme headaches. Thanks in advance. :)

Healing after breast reduction for young individuals

+2

The answer you get can be quite varied, and may depend on personal preferences and local habits. Almost all young patients in our practice will have a short scar or 'lollipop' breast reduction, outpatient, and without drains. Our patients will return to school after one week, and as no muscles are involved in reduction surgery, lifting is not much of an issue. Ask your surgeon carefully about their routine.

peterejohnsonmd

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/breast-reduction

Breast reduction and healing time

+2

Depending on the technique used and the use of drains you can expect to miss about one week of school and take 2-3 weeks to "feel like yourself".  After this time is usually OK to do most daily activities and even some cardio (treadmill, stationary bike, etc.) type of exercise.  I generally want at least 6 weeks to pass before strenuous activities like weight training or high impact aerobic activities.  After 6 weeks it is generally OK to go out and get fitted for an new bra.

Web reference: http://www.sacs-sa.com

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction healing time

+2

Usually it takes a few weeks to heal from a breast reduction.  Draines stay in for a few days to a week for most of my patients.  They can usually return to light work or school within week. Exercise in 6-8 weeks.

Breast reduction

+2

The time for healing in a breast reduction is usually 1-2 weeks in terms of resuming normal daily activities. This would not include exercise or heavy lifting  which require a longer period of time.

Breast Reduction Recovery?

+1

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; it is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

Your plastic surgeon will provide you with specific return to school activity guidelines;  in my practice, I suggest at least 2 weeks of recovery time.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastreduction.htm

Breast Reduction - I'm 15 and May Be Getting a Breast Reduction: What is the Estimated Healing Time?

+1

Hi keneefly,

In general, and depending on how you define it, it takes about 1-2 weeks to "recover" from a breast reduction.

Actually, of course, it's more involved than that.  Most patients feel better at even 1-2 days after the surgery than they did before (ie, despite the discomfort of the surgical procedure, they're relieved of the neck, back and shoulder pain).  Most people need about a week off of work before returning, though it could be less if the recovery is going well and/or it's a relative non-physical job, or more if the recovery is slower and/or it's a more physical job.

It's about three weeks before you can return to exercise, and up to several months until you're fully healed.

That being said, most women tolerate the procedure extremely well and recover surprisingly quickly. 

And you young kids - you should bounce back real quick!

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Web reference: http://www.bodysculpture.com

Breast Reduciton

+1

Most patients take two weeks off of work to heal from a breast reduction, however, this may vary from patient to patient. I would encourage you to discuss your concerns with a parent and your primary care physician who should be able to refer you to a reputable, board certified plastic surgeon. Upon consultation and examination, your plastic surgeon will be able to recommend the treatment options which would best address your concerns. Best of luck!

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Recover from breast reduction

+1

Most of my patients take two weeks off of a desk job after a reduction and 3 weeks off of a more physical job.  I suspect you would be okay to return to school after a few weeks unless you have to carry a ton of books.