Age 15, 38/40DDD - Can I Get a Breast Reduction?

Im 15 and my Boobs Are a 38ddd or a 40ddd Cani Get a Breast Reduction?

5'1.5,220lbs.

Can I get a breast reduction?

+1

Thank you for your question!  I hope that these answers help in making your decision.  You suffer from juvenile hypertrophy of the breasts, which is typically treated by breast reduction.  It is not uncommon to have the symptoms that you describe such as neck/back/shoulder pain as well as infections/rashes and shoulder grooving, especially in teenagers once her breasts begin to fully develop.  

Once one begins to have the symptoms that you state above, consideration for a surgical procedure to ameliorate your symptoms, assist with self esteem, and allow you to get back to physical activities in your youth should be done.  Given your symptoms,  you would be an ideal candidate.  You must first discuss with your parents and pediatrician, and then consulting with a plastic surgeon for evaluation and examination to assist you in deciding if this would be the right thing for you.  Your surgeon will also go over what to expect as well as the risks and benefits of the procedure - it is a safe procedure.  Overall, your symptoms should be ameliorated almost immediately and hopefully give you more self confidence and an increased activity level.  Your breasts may still continue to grow over the next several years, but it is certainly reasonable to consider this at this age with the issues that you are having.  I hope that this helps!  Good luck with your decision!

Teenage breast reduction

+1

You should first have a discussion with your parents about your concerns.  I would recommend a trip to your pediatrician or primary care physician for a referral. Schedule a consultation with a board certified reputable plastic surgeon. The benefits, risks, pros, and cons will be discussed during this appointment. You and your parents will be able to weigh the options and come to an educated decision on if and when this procedure would be right for you.  Best of luck!!!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction in a 15 Year old

+1

You are not too young to have a reduction.  You need a thorough consultation with a plastic surgeon to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of performing this surgery.  Your parents should be with you and involved in helping you reach a decision.  Ideally one wants to wait until you are fully developed but that is not always feasible.  The more information you have the easier it will be for you and your parents to make a decision.

Albert Dabbah, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Good candidate for breast reduction surgery

+1

Based on the photos you provided, you look like a good candidate for a breast reduction. Of course, it is in your best interest to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss the best option for your specific case. Breast reduction surgery may help improve posture and can help alleviate back, neck, and shoulder pain. To prevent additional surgery and avoid complications intra-operatively, patient’s are instructed to be reach their ideal weight before undergoing surgery. In some cases, insurance companies may cover your procedure depending on whether you are good candidate for the procedure.

Breast reduction and age 15

+1

If you are of adult height and maturity and having regular menses, then you probably can be evaluted to have a breast reduction. There is no specific age restriction, but you would like to wait until you are no longer growing.

Breast reduction for teenagers

+1

From your pictures it looks like you would definitely benefit from a breast reduction. As has been pointed out in some of the other answers, there are many considerations that enter into a decision to have surgery and your age is just one. You and your parents or guardians need to meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss the risks and benefits of surgery for you. And you need to feel comfortable with the plan and the answers to your questions. Good luck.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction at age 15

+1

Based on your pictures you are a candidate for medically necessary (read: covered by insurance) breast reduction.  However, at your age and height, you would be a much better surgical candidate of you lost weight.  There is no time in your life when it will be easier to lose weight: as you get older your metabolism will slow down and losing weight will be much harder.  In my office I would defer your surgery until you are less than 200 pounds. 

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Large Breasts are a Health hazard!

+1

You certainly are not too young to have breast reduction surgery if the breasts are problematic.

Large breasts will cause back pain, neck pain, rashes under the breast, and generalized weight gain. Young individuals are candidates despite youth. The real limitations revolve around emotional maturity to undergo such a procedure with the risks. Also, it is important to determine if your breasts have stopped growing - if not you can wait until the breast cup size is stable for one year.

Robert M. Freund, MD

Can I get a breast reduction?

+1

all breasts can be made smaller. a breast reduction is a medical procedure designed to alleviate a constellation of symptoms resulting from heavy weights hanging off the chest, usually breasts. At this point in your life a healthy diet and exercise are the most important first steps to reducing the size of your breasts and avoiding scars along the way.

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction options

+1

We would definitely recommend that you seek a consultation with a qualified plastic surgeon that you and your parents/guardian could attend together.  At this consultation, the surgeon would need to find out about the history of your development and your overall health would need to be discussed. Based on your personal situation, a plan would be discussed. 

John W. Bass, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon