I'm 15 and a Size 32gg, I Have a Healthy Weight and Good Figure but my Boobs Are Causing Major Pain?

I'm 15 and healthy but the size of my boobs us causing serious pain under my boobs because of the weight under my armpits on my shoulders, in my neck and worst in my back, they're stopping me from doing physical activities and things I enjoyed and getting me down.

Breast Reduction at 15?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the physical and psychosocial problems your disproportionately large breasts are causing you. 

It is probable that you are dealing with juvenile breast hypertrophy along with the physical and psychosocial consequences of this diagnosis. In other words, the breasts are too large for your frame causing  both physical and psychological distress.

Although it may be slightly too early to undergo this procedure, it is not too early to do your homework and learn as much as possible  about  breast reduction surgery and the potential risks and complications associated with  the procedure.  Hopefully you have the support of your parents as you do your homework.

Unsatisfactory scarring is  one of the potential complications. Make sure you also understands that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).

On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).

Sometimes breast  reduction surgery is covered through health insurance. The best way to obtain insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery involves some “hoops” to jump through. The more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.
This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization.
 When the time is right,  seek consultation with well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Breast reduction at 15

+1

If you are having symptoms of macromastia, it might be reasonable to undergo a breast reduction. Best to discuss with your parents and get their permission to go for a consultation.

Breast Reduction for teen

+1

Absolutely, consider a breast reduction with a board-certified plastic surgeon.  I prefer a technique with less scar and better shape called a "vertical mammoplasty" or sometimes a "lolliopop" or "minimal scar" technique.  What is important is that it may be possible to reduce your breasts and minimize the length of the scar and reshape your breasts.  Your pain should resolve completely immediately after surgery.  This is a surgery that a mature 15 yr old can call life-changing.

Jeffrey Ditesheim, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Timing Of Breast Reduction

+1

You certainly sound as if you would be a good candidate for a breast reduction surgery with your breast size and symptoms.  If the size of your breasts has been stable for the past 6 months, you could have the surgery now.  Otherwise, I would wait until there is no further development.

John Whitt, MD

Breast reduction is sometimes performed on teenagers.

+1

Young women with uncomfortably large breasts often benefit functionally from breast reduction. This is particularly true now that women are often athletic. The parents of course accept responsibility for the operation.

Teenagers and Breast Reductions

+1
  • Surgery is often a very good option for women who have discomfort related to their large breasts.  Teenagers with very large breasts, such as you have, may consider a breast reduction as well.

•  Having very large breasts as a teenager can be troubling for many reasons. In addition to back, neck, and shoulder pain, some young women also suffer emotionally as well.  Having the largest breasts in one's junior high school/middle school can negatively impact self-esteem.  Playing sports such as volleyball or running track is also really difficult and can be uncomfortable.
  • The youngest patients I have performed breast reductions on were 15 years old. Her parents and pediatrician were very supportive of her decision, and after her breast reduction she was able to more easily enjoy the sports at school that she was so fond of.  Additionally, she was a lot less self-conscious after her operation.

• Our biggest concern with performing a breast reduction on a patient as young as yourself is the possible need for another breast reduction down the road.  It is possible that your breasts will continue to get larger, and you may desire another breast reduction in the future.
  • Definitely meet with a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss the operation in detail and find out more information. 

Best of luck to you!

Joshua Cooper, MD, FACS