Is 14 Years Old Too Young to Get Nose Surgery?

Rhinoplasty in adolescents

+3

The answer depends on several factors. In males, I feel that 14 years old is too young for Rhinoplasty and 16 year old is probably a better age to be considering the surgery. In females, a 14 year old girl may be physically mature enough that the surgery would be entirely appropriate. One needs to consider the psychological component of cosmetic surgery. The alteration of ones image can be traumatic experience even if the changes are positive ones. The psychological maturity of the patient needs to be considered in all cosmetic procedures at all ages. Age 14 may not be emotionally ready for the surgery.

Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Too soon

+2

The problem is not your age, but but the fact of whether the facial area has fully developed at 14. In a theoretical plane this occurs only in less than 25% of female patients, and usually in less than 10% of male patients.

But in my opinion, the clue is not if antrophometric develoment has been completed or not. When considering a rhinoplasty, it's crucial to have a psichological complete maturity to choose the correct decission.

Wait almost two or three years before deciding your nose surgery.

Enrique Etxeberria, MD
Spain Plastic Surgeon

Age for rhinoplasty or nose job

+1

The nose, specifically the septum (the wall that separates the two sides of the nose) serves as the focal point or center for midfacial growth. Prematurely disturbing this growth center could lead to abnormal development of the face. Therefore, it is essential that a qualified surgeon evaluate your facial growth and assure that it is an appropriate time to consider a rhinoplasty. Most teenage girls can have rhinoplasty approximately one year after their menarche (first menstrual period). Teenage boys are more variable, but the surgery can typically be performed successfully by age 16.

As long as surgery was performed at the appropriate time, your nose should not continue to grow, but will actually contract. The healing process actually takes an entire year and your nasal skin will slowly contract over the structural framework of bone and cartilage.

Etai Funk, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Teen nose surgery is OK if you are mature enough

+1

By the mid teens, nose size/growth is near adult size, so from a technical standpoint a rhinoplasty can be done. From a psychological standpoint, teens should be choosing to do this for the right reason. While there are many right reasons, it is important that to a teen be self motivated and not be motivated by a family member to have it done.

Also, they should be able to identify specifically what they don't like about their nose and share this with their Plastic Surgeon. It is so important that the plastic surgeon and patient, no matter what age, are realistic about what result can be obtained, and what can not be corrected/improved. That is where computer imaging comes into the picture.

I use our imaging computer to emphasize how one might look, not to guarantee a certain result. I have found that those who like the computer simulated results I show them usually are ecstatic with their results. Those who don't should not have nose surgery.

Steven Yarinsky, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon