I'm 14 weeks PO, but in the morning I'm super flat, but bloat after eating/drinking. What is the problem? (photo)

i'm 14 weeks PO with a full TT with muscle repair and umbilical hernia repair but in the morning i'm superflat, but after a few glasses of water or breakfast i look like i'm pregnant. The docter has no clue.. I've got an ultrasound and they say my muscle repair is very much intact. Also no seroma or hematoma, no fluid whatsoever.. What could it be?? I'm very upset that my belly bulges so bad.. My length is 1.68 and i weigh 50kg, so what's not the problem :(

Bulging

+2
This is different ? A couple of  questions. Are you still wearing an abdominal binder  during the  day  and removing it at night ? If you are, it is  possible that the binder is riding up and  acting like a tourniquet resulting in swelling of the  lower abdomen. I would suggest you  start wearing a well fitted elastic garment, above knee with zippers/velcro along the side for removal. This may help.  Assuming that your studies are accurate, and the muscle repair is intact and there is no seroma,you may  have a genralized weakness of the abdominal muscle wall which is a difficult problem requiring additional surgery.

I will you well !

Waldorf Plastic Surgeon

Bulging After Tummy Tuck #tummytuck

+2
No problem at all. It happens to all of us actually. It is very common to have a flat stomach in the morning and then be more distended during the day. IT is very strange that your 8 week and 14 week look so different however. I can not explain that.

Richard J. Brown, MD

I'm 14 weeks PO, but in the morning I'm super flat, but bloat after eating/drinking. What is the problem?

+2
Sounds like you have done all the diagnostic testing needed and still no answer toy the cause of this bloating issue. Could be laxity in the complete abdominal wall musculature, I than recommend the largest ACD or "mesh" as an operative answer. But the costs and re operation has risks... 

Bulge after tummy tuck

+2
Although some of this may be coming from swelling during the day,  I think you have lax abdominal musculature. 

At this point you know the muscle repair is intact, but you still have a  bulge.  Although tightening the fascia overlying the muscles does allow the muscles to be brought back to the center, it does not strengthen the muscles.  After surgery, your abdominal fascia has shown that it will lose strength fairly quickly. I think you unfortunately have a lower strength facial layer than most.  I do not think another surgery will fix this.  You would likely have the same problem again. 

I would suggest strengthening your muscular layer.  This means core exercises such as sit ups, leg lifts, etc.  I think this will help you late day issues.   Your morning pictures look fantastic!  I think you just need a bit more abdominal strength to stay flat through the evening. 

Gordon Lewis, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck recovery

+2
In all likelihood you are experiencing swelling. The abdominoplasty is a big procedure and swelling will occur for 4 to 6 months if you take a little too much sodium. Use a salt substitute. Use an abdominal binder at night. Drink lots of water. Time will solve all this. Obviously do not gain fat weight.

Antoine A. Hallak, MD, FACS

Loose abdominal support

+2
some patients have very lax abdominal walls.  Even though your hernia and muscle separation were corrected, it is still possible that your lower abdomen is lax and through the course of a day relaxes further to bulge out the way you seem to.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Bulge after tummy tuck

+1
If the muscle repair is intact the bulge is due to weakness of the muscles themselves.  Try an aggressive regimen of abdominal exercises targeting the obliques as well as the rectus muscles.

Daniel Greenwald, MD