14 Weeks After Upper and Lower Bleph, My Eyes Still Won't Close in the Corners and Cause my Eyes to Water All the Time?

I had a bad reaction to steroids and also had chemosis until last week. But I have large gaps in the corners of my eyes and they look very red round the rims and feel and look so strained . I had stents in my tear ducts for a few weeks but they won't stop watering and feel very scratchy. I visit my opthalmic surgeon next week but he doesn't like me to complain of anything and I feel very intimidated. What can be done/? I have tried to remain positive but it is getting me down now.

Eyelid surgery

+1

This is a tough problem but if you could include photos it might help.  You have ectropion and canthal laxity.  You might need more surgery to be able to close the outside part of your eyes.  We call this canthopexy.  Please ask your surgeon if this is needed.

Good luck

Dr. Vasisht- South Shore Plastic Surgery

Voorhees Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid Issues After Bleph

+1

First, You and your surgeon need to get to an understanding about communication so that all issues are addressed with solutions. This is your body you should be able to ask any question you like without fear.  Pertaining to your surgical issue, it sounds like you have a bit of lower eyelid retraction (ectropion). The first line of treatment is massage and time.  The chemosis may need treatment also but typically resolves with time. 

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Eyelid issues

+1

It sounds like you have scleral show and did you have a canthopexy or not?  Without more information and photos it is difficult to respond.

Photos would be helpful

+1

Photos would be very helpful, though it won't take the place of a dynamic exam in which we can visualize and palpate the skin and soft tissue.

Though 14 weeks is usually long enough to allow us to recognize the final result, if there is extensive scarring, further improvement can occur for up to a year after the initial surgery.

THe exam [and possibly the photos] would let us know if this an upper eyelid problem, or a lower eyelid problem, or possibly both.

If you Ophthalmologist is intimidating you, this is not an ideal patient-doctor relationship. First, I would suggest you discuss your feelings with your surgeon. He may not be aware of this dynamic and may become more focused on your concerns/fears. Second,  I recommend you get a second opinion with an Oculoplastic surgeon. Though general Ophthamlologists may be well trained in performing routine blepharoplasty, an Oculoplastic surgeon's main focus is this type of surgery, as well as related surgery needed to address the concerns that you currently have.

You can find one close to you at the asoprs dot org website.

Best of luck

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Dry eyes

+1

Hi Zetalyn,

I would really need to see a photo of your eyes. It is possible that too much skin was removed from the lower lids, which can cause incomplete closure. If this is the unfortunate case, then you may need a cheek lift as corrective surgery. Your doctor should properly be able to assess this or you may want to seek a 2nd opinion 

Roger Bassin, MD
Orlando Oculoplastic Surgeon