14 Units in Strong Glabella Enough?

I just realized my doctor has been only putting 14 units of botox in my glabellar for the last year! Makes sense why I've been feeling like I've needed more more often. My muscles are very strong, as I have previously had consistently 20 units with a doctor that is further away from my house. Doesn't 14 units seem low? I feel scammed. Especially because they price $15 for 20 units or less, and $12 for 20 units or more. I've ALWAYS told them I want 20 units. Always.

Botox for the glabella--the "elevens" between the eyebrows

+1

The amount of botox for the glabella that is needed depends on the muscle strength, anatomy, depth of the lines, quality of the skin, and patient expectations.  Sometimes 14 units can be enough, sometimes 28 units is needed.  Sometimes fillers are needed to improve the outcome, sometimes Botox does the trick.  It really depends on many factors and it is impossible to say how much is enough for a patient without an exam.  That being said, if you aren't getting what you want, or feel that you haven't been treated honestly, then seek out a different plastic surgeon.  But always be careful about finding someone simply to do what you want, as opposed to doing what is best.  That can lead to problems.  Good luck!  

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Botox in Glabella

+1

Depending on how much muscle activity you have and how much correction you want usually helps determine how many units you should get. It sounds like you need more than 14 units, especially since you are having to go more often. I would suggest trying a new injector and requesting 20 units at the least. Unfortunately, driving further isn't always a bad thing, particularly if you get the result you are looking for with that injector.

Haven J. Barlow, Jr., MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Botox injections

+1

Try another office... or make sure they give you 20 units on your next appointment.   20 units is the average amount but it is not uncommon to get 14 units in this area as well.

Dr. Grant Stevens        Marina Plastic Surgery Associates          Marina del Rey, CA         The Institute

Grant Stevens, MD

14 Units is usually on the light side for Botox in the Glabella. 20 would be more likely to give a solid, long-lasting result.

+1

In my hands, 20-25 Units usually produces a solid, long-lasting result for Botox of the Glabella.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

How many Botox units are needed for the glabella

+1

In general, for females, 25 units is the average treatment for the glabella. If you aren't getting the results you want, then I would suggest you either 1. ask for more, or 2. see a different injector. A great deal of Botox results are about the injector and his her experience/technique, and secondly, the number of units used. If you scrimp on units, you will scrimp on the outcome or longevity of the treatment.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Botox for 11's

+1

The standard dose of botox for the 11's is 25 units. Some people use more, some use less. If you are not getting the result you desire, ask for more. 

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Botox jaw reduction is a specialized technique to reduce the width of the jawline changing an overly square jawline to a more at

+1

Every patient is different and requires a different dosage depending on how strong the muscles are, but most see a great result with 20-25 units injected to the glabella. 

Good Luck 

How much Botox should be injected into glabella?

+1

The standard treatment for the glabella is with 25 units of Botox. Some patients require less, others a little more. 

Frank Agullo, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

How much botox to put in the glabella

+1

I normally put at least 25 units of botox in the glabella as it is a quite strong muscle in most people. You'll also find that using a bit more botox may help it last a little bit longer overall.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Yes, 14 units is on the low side for treatment of the glabella

+1

however depending on the muscle activity some of my patients require even less in the area...but I wouldn't call it a scam...the idea with botox is to use the minimum dose necessary to provide the optimal benefits...if you were happy with the 20 unit treatment, then just ask your doctor to continue with that amount...and if the doctor doesn't what to oblige, there are other providers who will...

Ken Landow, MD