14 Months After Having Diep Flap Surgery I Still Get Swelling, is This Normal?

Swelling after DIEP

+2

Swelling after a year should be evaluated by you plastic surgeon. If it is in the abdomen it may be a hernia.

Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

+2

This question is better asked of your plastic surgeon, in the setting of an office visit.Without photos and some additional info, it is not possible to offer any specific suggestion.

All the best.  

Prolonged swelling after Diep flap surgery

+2

Hello there.  You need to provide more information for me to comment.  Photos would be helpful as well.  Where is the swelling located? Is it constant or fluctuate (or change in size)? Is it soft or hard or uncomfortable?  You should also ask your plastic surgeon to examine you.

Sugene Kim, MD

Swelling after DIEP Flap

+1

Swelling 14 months after a DIEP flap is rather abnormal.   By this point, the tissue should have enough peripheral circulation to minimize any swelling or changes in size.

It would be helpful to know if you have any hardness or tenderness, which could signify fat necrosis and be causing your symptoms.

I recommend close followup with your plastic surgeon to evaluate and monitor your swelling.

Dr. GIll

Paul S. Gill, MD

Swelling after surgery

+1

Generally we expect and advise patients that there will swelling up to a year after surgery and this usually improves over the year.  However, some patients can have swelling that can take longer but it should not a significant amount.  You can have partial fat necrosis of the flap and that can feel hard.  If that is what you referring to, then that may never completely go away.  If you had radiation before or after the DIEP flap, that can also delay the resolution of normal surgical swelling.  

N. Bill Aydin, MD
New Jersey Plastic Surgeon