How Can I Tell if D Cup Will Be Good for a Medium Frame Body?

I'm 48 years old, 135lb, 5'5".

Sizing

+1

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning
2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look. Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu

Implant Selection Process

+1

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Breast cup size after Breast Augmentation with Breast Implants

+1

The best way to decide whether a D cup is a good size for you is to buy a D cup bra and fill it and wear a tight shirt and then your regular clothes like a dress or blouse. This is a very personal chose but is usually obvious when you wear the filled bra for a few days.

Laurie Casas, MD

Use sizers and don't be too concerned about cups

+1

Almost all patients seeking breast enhancement think in terms of cup size, but cup size depends on band size as well as manufacturers.  In our office, we encourage patients to try on sizers - silicone implants with different volumes - so they can see what 200 cc's looks like on their frame.... or 400 or 600.  When patients see this, they know what they want - and are comfortable with their selection.  We've found this to be a very reliable method for accurately selecting implants.

Good luck with your research!

David L. Kaufman, MD
Folsom Plastic Surgeon

When choosing breast implant, balance and proportion are everything!

+1

Bra cup size is an inaccurate way to decide what implants are right for your body because one company's D cup is another's C. For your height (5'5"), your weight (135) is right where it should be - this is an important factor when determining the right implants for your body (at the same height, a heavier woman will need larger implants compared to someone who is slimmer). My strategy is to ask the patient to try on implants by placing them into a bra (a simple way of trying this at home is filling knee-high stockings with rice). When looking in the mirror straight on, trace your figure in your mind's eye. That is, look at your silhouette - the curving outline of your breasts should balance the inward curve of your waist, and then the outward shape of your hips.  Test several implant sizes (fill the bags more and keep track of the number of milliliters [same as cubic centimeters, or "cc"]) and don't look for projection (i.e. how much the implants make your breasts larger from the profile). If you're stuck between two different sizes, pick the larger one (within reason as guided by your doctor). There are many other factors involved in breast augmentation (scar placement, silicone vs saline, etc.) which is beyond the scope here. However, I've attached a web reference link that is quite reasonable in its advice. The bottom line is that when considering any surgery make sure you pair with a board certified plastic surgeon who is not afraid to show you before/after photos. Good luck!

Ariel N. Rad, MD, PhD

Focus on getting the size that looks best according to you as opposed to cup size

+1

Cup size is a good way to start the communication process about breast implants but the more important question is what breast implant size will give you the look that you are looking for.  Try on some implants under a sports bra at your plastic surgeons office and get an idea of what looks best for you.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Cup Size After Breast Augmentation?

+1

Referring to cup size is a very arbitrary way of determining the look/size you wish to achieve after breast augmentation surgery.

As  you think about your  breast augmentation procedure it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  in my practice I find the use of goal pictures to be very helpful.  in your case you could use your own before breast-feeding pictures as the goal. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible. 
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

D cup and medium frame

+1

The simplest way to see what is right for you is to go for a consultation and check out the volume in a bra.  Don't focus so much on the cup size because bras will fit differently on each individual.

Good size for medium framed body

+1

best suggestion is to go online and look at pre and post op photos of women that start with your volume and you like the result. usually they post size and type of implant. that should help you decide what you like and then talk to your surgeon to get input.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

D Cup Breasts

+1

One of the best ways on deciding breast size is to have your surgeon allow you to try on a bra that have various size implants placed within it, and then put a t shirt over that. This will give you an approximate size of your breasts following your surgery. Note that this is merely a guide and not a precise method of determining implant size. Other factors that should be taken into account when determining implant size is breast and chest width, height, hip size, and general body habitus. It is best that you spend adequate time with your surgeon during the pre-operative appointment trying on various size implants so that the correct choice is made regarding implant size, and ultimate proportionality of your body.

Wilfred Brown, MD
Fairfield Plastic Surgeon