Is 13 Too Young for Breast Reduction Surgery?

I am 13, 5''3, weigh about 150lbs, and have 40 D breasts. My breasts limit me. My back is constantly hurting, my shoulders have cuts on them from my bra and I cannot wear certain types of clothes. My mother had a breast reduction 3 years ago, and she is much happier and healthier now that she has smaller breasts. I am worried that I am too young for this kind of surgery, but I do not know if my health can wait until I am 18. What do you think I should do?

Breast Reduction for Teenager

+1

It sounds like you may be dealing with juvenile breast hypertrophy along with the physical and psychosocial consequences of this diagnosis. In other words, the breasts are too large for the frame causing  both physical and psychological distress.

You may be 1 to 2  years away from breast reduction surgery;  this will give you time to do your homework and understand the potential risk and consultations associated with breast reduction surgery. You also understand that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).

On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).

I would suggest an in-person consultation with several well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeon. Best wishes.

Breast reduction at 13?

+1

Unfortunately, I sympathize with your complaints but 13 is probably too young to consider a breast reduction.

Age for Breast Reduction

+1

13 is most likely too young.  We like to wait until our patients are around 18 and the breast have stopped growing. If there is serious medical pain and discomfort to the back and neck than sometimes breast reduction can be performed at a younger age but probably older than 13.

Robert N. Young, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

13 and breast reduction

+1

13 is a bit young for a breast reduction.  Usually you have to wait a few more years until you have stopped growing.  In extremes of severe gigantomastia where a young lady as breasts much larger than yours, surgery is sometimes performed.

13 Too Young for Breast Reduction Surgery

+1

It is VERY unusual to approve a early teen for breast reduction surgery since you might still be growing, especially your breasts. So let's say you have the reduction surgery today than in 2 years after fully growing the breasts are again large what have you accomplished? Only if you are diagnosed with " Virginal Hypertrophy" syndrome is it acceptable to operate at this age. Seek detailed in person evaluations from boarded surgeons in your area with your mother. Why not talk to your mom's surgeon?

Breast reduction in juvenile

+1

While age is a relative concern it is more related to things other than just chronological age. First of all, at 5'3" and 150 lbs., you are overweight and this can contribute to large breasts. Just in terms of overall health, you should look into ways to improve your lifestyle if possible. Second, your large breasts and perhaps your overweight condition may be caused by hormonal or other factors that might have more serious implications. You should have a check up with your pediatrician and seek the advice of an endocrinologist if that is indicated. Finally, while your complaints are immediate, your breasts are still continuing to develop. Whether this means that as you grow, your breasts grow even more, or you start to lose weight and become more fit and thus your breasts shrink, is not known.

You situation is not an easy one to remedy but I would suggest starting with looking at your overall lifestyle and physiology before contemplating surgery.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD