I Am 13 Years Old and I Am 34 C. Is It Okay to Have a Breast Removal Surgery?

I am 13 years old and I am 34 C. I don't feel comfortable with my breasts. I want to make a breast removal surgery. Is it okay?

Breast reductions in minors

+1

If your breasts are a size C then you are in the normal range.  I do not understand your rational for reduction.  This will require parental consent and you would have to find a plastic surgeon willing to perform the surgery.  I doubt that you would be successful at finding a board certified plastic surgeon to do a breast reductrion on a 34 C.  A better alternative is breast weight transfer to relieve breast pain without volume reduction.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Too Young for Breast Reduction Surgery?

+1

I would agree with the other respondents, that 13 is generally too young for breast reduction surgery; it is however not too young to educate yourself about the options available.  Remember that there is a definite “body image adjustment” that happens  as you go through puberty.  I hope you can express your concerns with your parents;  seek counseling if necessary.

It is possible that you are dealing with juvenile breast hypertrophy along with the physical and psychosocial consequences of this diagnosis. In other words, the breasts are too large for the frame causing  both physical and psychological distress.

As  you think  about  breast reduction surgery make sure you do your homework and understand the potential risks and complications associated with  the procedure.  Unsatisfactory scarring is  one of the potential complications. Make sure you also understands that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).

On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).

Sometimes breast  reduction surgery is covered through health insurance. The best way to obtain insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery involves some “hoops” to jump through. The more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.
This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization.

When the time is right,  seek consultation with well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

Breast Reductions Are Best When Breast Growth Has Completed

+1

I see many teenagers for breast reductions, but it is important to wait until you have completed or almost completed breast growth.  If you were to have a reduction at this age your breasts are likely to continue growing.  It is better to wait at least until you are 17 or 18 so that you only need to do the surgery once.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Sorry, 13 is too young for breast reduction

+1

If you are only a C-cup you might become very accustomed to the size, and 13 is just too early to consider a breast reduction. At your age if you are uncomfortable about anything, find someone you trust to talk things over with, parent, teacher, school nurse.

Wait

+1

Speak to your parents and if they agree, get a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. Their advice will probably be to wait a few years to see if they or you continue to grow. 13 is a little young for a reduction, but not too young to think about it.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD