13 Days Post Op Fom Abdominoplasty and Lipo?

I am 13 days post op from the above & I have developed a seroma (which I know is common) I went last evening to my local walk in A&E department. I was seen by a surgeon who concurred that yes, it is a seroma, but clinical evidence is not sufficient to drain it, even tho it ripples over my abdomen when he tapped it, & is affecting my breathing at times. He said with my compression garment, he woud anticipate that it would re-assorb over a period of time, but couldn't indicate how long- Any ideas?

Treatment of seroma

+1

My first question is why you went into an emergency clinic rather than calling your plastic surgeon.  You should be seen by your surgeon, not an ER doctor, because the advise you received with respect to seroma resorption is not the standard of care in our field.  Your plastic surgeon will determined whether the seroma should be drained and schedule followup care.  In terms of your difficulty breathing, this needs to be assessed in relation to the surgery and other clinical findings.  Best of luck to you.

Seromas should be aspirated

+1

A clinically visible seroma should always be aspirated. Leaving a seroma there can cause contour irregularity, infection, an overall poor result. You need to see your surgeon immediately. He/She will likely aspirate the seroma for you. If it stays there for long, it may become chronic and need a surgical intervention to completely remove it. 

Matthew Schulman, MD

Seroma

+1

The correct approach is to drain the fluid either by aspiration or by re-inserting a drain. My hunch is that had you seen your surgeon, that is what would have been done. A walk in clinic may be ok for an emergency, but none other than your surgeon will have enough info about your progress through recovery to make the best clinical decision.

Call your surgeon.  All the best. 

Treatment Of Seroma after Tummy Tuck?

+1

It is somewhat surprising to hear about your decision to seek evaluation in an  urgent care department. Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource to both diagnose and treat any issues that arise after the tummy tuck surgery. Generally speaking, most plastic surgeons will opt to aspirate any seroma present.

Seroma Following Abdominoplasty and Liposuction

+1

While seromas are not uncommon following abdominoplasty, it is important to arrange a follow-up visit with the plastic surgeon who performed your surgery to determine whether or not the seroma requires a drain. Good communication is key both prior to and following plastic surgery. I am confident your plastic surgeon would want to know if you are experiencing any problems at all post-operatively.  Good luck to you. 

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Seroma post tummy tuck

+1

Your Seroma should be mangaged by your surgeon and no one else.  Call them as soon as possible and schedule an evaluation with them.  Do not let emergency room or walk in clinic doctors make these decisions.

Sacha Obaid, MD