12 Wks After TT Still Swollen?

I'm concerned my Dr did not give me any garment, recommend massages and after almost 12 weeks I still can't wear some of my old pants. The past few days around my belly bottom has been very swollen and hurts. Is this normal?

Swelling after Tummy Tuck...

+2

Usually after having the tummy tuck procedure done, most surgeons do recommend compression garments.  Without the garment, the swelling be will increased, and it will take more time to resolve.  The abdominal binders should be worn up to 2 weeks post surgery, while the compression garment should be used for the next 6 weeks.  It is common to still be swollen for 12 weeks after a tummy tuck, but if your experiencing discomfort, please be sure to make a follow up appointment with your plastic surgeon.

Edison Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after tummy tuck

+2

At 12 weeks post-op I would expect that you are still swollen. I find that for my patients they usually start getting back to their normal activities at the 8-12 week mark and that this does lead to increased swelling, particularly at the end of the day and if they have been particularly active. Your surgeon is in the best position to tell if your swelling is normal or if something else is going on so you should probably set up an appointment to get it checked. Good luck to you.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Post TT swelling

+2

Swelling after abdominoplasty is normal. It can be modified with a compression garment but it cant be prevented.

Swelling associated with fluid retention  in the tissues starts to settle around 3 months. The time varies from patient to patient but over the next two to three months you should start seeing improvement.

Douglas McManamny, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Garments Are Necessary

+2

Photographs would be helpful.  A garment is a MUST after tummy tuck to control swelling, fluid build up and maintain contour.  Massages are not critical but the garment is. 3 months out from surgery may be too late to effect a change but I would recommend some compression at this point because it can't hurt and might be a bit helpful in the long run.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Swelling will persist for many weeks after abdominoplasty.

+1

Significant swelling 12 weeks after abdominoplasty is not out of the question. Is it a substantial operation that may require a number of months for complete resolution of swelling.

Swelling 3 months after an abdominoplasty

+1

Every plastic surgeon has their on routine while most would agree that some type of elastic support garment is helpful following an abdominoplasty especially if liposuction of the posterior hips and flanks is involved.  At three months post op I would expect that your swelling would be getting better.  It is possible that you have a seroma or just dependent edema.  Your plastic surgeon is in the best position to understand your anatomy and surgery and to recommend management.  It may just need more time.  You certainly can begin a program of morpholymphatic massage.