Large Seroma 12 Weeks Post-op Tummy Tuck - What Should I Do?

I am 12 weeks post tummy tuck and still have a seroma as large as 1/2 of a tennis ball. It is hard,palpable and noticeable, since I am a small person. Does massage help? What can I do? Will it eventually resolve. It was much larger. I have moved to NY from Fl.and no longer see my Dr. Help, help. Sherry

Persistent seroma 12 seeks after tummy tuck

+1

Along with Dr. Aldea, I am somewhat puzzled by your description. Seromas are commonly treated by aspiration. Occasionally a drain is placed and infrequently, surgery is necessary to excise the surrounding capsule around longstanding seromas.

Web reference: http://bodysculptor.com/tummy.html

Seroma after tummy tuck needs urgent treatment.

+1

Hi.

1)  First you need the seroma drained right away, and maybe a catheter left in place so fluid does not re-accumulate.

2)  The bad news is that after so much time, it may no longer be fluid.  It may have become solid internal scar tissue, which is very difficult to deal with.

3)  In any case see a plastic surgeon right away.

A Seroma needs to be evaluated and Treated by a Plastic Surgeon

+1

"12 weeks post tummy tuck and still have a seroma as large as 1/2 of a tennis ball. It is hard,palpable and noticeable". Having a hard mass 3 months after surgery is not normal. Not quite sure why you are referring to it as a seroma since most seromas are soft and feel like a squeeze toy. This may be a localized area of dead fat (fat necrosis) or something else. Regardless, you need to be seen either by your original plastic surgeon in NY or have him recommend a colleague in the community in which you live and have it taken care of.  Good Luck.