12 Weeks PO on Breast Lift, Not Happy with Results -- Now What, Implants? (photo)

44 y/o. I lost 100 lbs which left me with very deflated breasts. I had a lift 12 weeks ago and am not happy with the results. I knew I would be smaller and not full on top but the nipple/areola area is sunken in and they are not breast shaped -- no bras will fit correctly. My left breast is smaller, both have loosened and dropped since the surgery and the skin is draping on them now. They were tight after the surgery. Are my results typical? Will implants correct this or will I still have problems?

12 Weeks PO on Breast Lift, Not Happy with Results -- Now What, Implants?

+1

If you want more fullness, implants can be placed.  If you want a tighter look, the skin envelope can be tightened.    Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast lifts and breast augmentations each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Breast Lift, Not Happy with Results

+1

I can certainly see why you would be less than pleased with the outcome. The loosening of skin that was tight is not uncommon in the massive weight loss patient.

The solution here is implants. You don't comment as to whether or not they were discussed before your surgery, but many surgeons would do these two procedures in stages given that complexity of the lift and the fact that there are real downsides to doing both at once. 

Implants should fill out the breasts and restore volume and shape. You would probably do well to have more skin removed from the lower pole where it continues to look excessive. Nipple position looks OK, so this revision of the lift will be comparatively minor. 

All the best. 

+1

Yes you need implants! Best to seek in person opinions from boarded PSs in your city. Best to you. Regards 

Diffcult case but implants may help

+1

Your deflated lose breasts may be corrected by using the right implant. Measurements as well as a discussion on how you would like your breast to look after the augmentation will help pick the right implants profile, shape and smooth vs. textured. Higher the profile the more fullness on top but less natural appearance.

Good luck!

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift after massive weight loss--results not good.

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss! I'm so sorry about your still-deflated breasts.

You are now 3 months post-op, appear well-healed, and have lost the majority of your peri-operative swelling. Although your scars are still immature and can be expected to further soften and fade with time, your breast appearance will not get better with additional passage of time, only worse to a greater or lesser degree.

Without seeing you in person and actually measuring your breast/chest dimensions, it is impossible to criticize your surgeon's design and execution of the breast lift. I would also want to know how much tissue was removed during the course of your lift. It should have been no more than an ounce or ounce and a half of skin per breast--your surgeon should have wanted to conserve as much volume as possible.

It also appears as if not enough skin may have been removed during your mastopexy (lift), though you state "they were tight after the surgery." Of course, they were also swollen, and this should have been taken into account.

At this point, regardless of the cause (and lack of your own cutaneous elasticity and dermal collagen--commonly seen in massive weight loss patients--MAY be a major cause other than insufficient skin removal or poor design), it appears that implants alone will not correct the problem and that you will also need revision of the entire lift to achieve better proportions (nipple to crease, and perhaps nipple to sternal notch as well) and a more attractive skin brassiere to "fill" with appropriate-sized implants.

If you are not sure your surgeon is capable of achieving your goals, consider consultation with one or more ABPS-certified plastic surgeons who do lots of breast surgery and also see lots of massive weight loss patients. You may well have to plan on everything being redone, plus adding implants, so this time needs to be spot on. For an example of one of my patients who underwent 3 operations by 2 surgeons prior to coming to me for her surgical "correction," click on the web reference link below! Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon