12 Days Post-surgery for Upper & Lower Blepharoplasty - Bubble Swelling Under One Eyelid? (photo)

I just had upper and lower blepharoplasty. One eye the swelling is even and reducing. But on the other eye, my lower eyelid has much more swelling and is bubbled and bulging in appearance, especially at the outer edge it sticks out a lot. I know I am in the early stages of healing and I have been meticulous about icing and ointment. I am just wondering if this bubbling is still within normal range and if it will continue to go down, or if there is cause for concern. Thanks!

Blepharoplasty and post-op look

+2

It looks like you have swelling of the lids which is normal.  Give it time to settle down.  It should improve over the next few months.

12 Days Post-surgery for Upper & Lower Blepharoplasty - Bubble Swelling Under One Eyelid?

+2

This is edema in the area between the incision and the lower lid margin. This can take a few months to fully subside. 

Asymmetric swelling of the lower eyelids after a blepharoplasty

+2

It is not unusual to get this degree of swelling of the lower eyelid following a blepharoplasty.  Swelling will never be symmetric.  Give it time and things will even out.  

Recovery after upper and lower blepharoplasty

+2

It is not at all unusual for one side to heal differently than the other after blepharoplasty surgery.  The swelling can take longer to resolve on one side versus the other.  What is important is that the swelling should be improving and not getting worse.  If things have been improving, I would give the healing some more time.  If you feel the swelling is getting worse in any way, you should see your surgeon to be evaluated.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Totally normal

+1

Every one heals and swells a bit differently aftery surgery, but your photo is completely within the normal range of recovery. Furthermore there is nearly always asymmetry in the degree of swelling between then eyes.  Be patient and wait 3 months before evaluating your results.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

+1

I do not see anything unusual in the picture presented.  Swelling after eyelid surgery is the norm.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA