12 Days After Tummy Tuck - Did I Tear My Muscle Repair?

12 days post op and i don't feel tight and able to laugh with no pain, but, still hurts to sneeze.. did i tear my MR?

Tummy tuck

+4

It is unlikely that you have torn your muscle repair unless there was a severe coughing or nausea in the immediate post-operative period.  It sounds normal.

Tear in a muscle repair after tummy tuck

+4

Tearing a muscle repair after your tummy tuck is difficult to do and the pain involved will be considerable. You should feel better as you do at 12 days, and soreness after a cough or sneeze is expected. Keep in a snug binder for support 24/7 and give you body the rest that it needs.

peterejohnsonmd

I don't feel tight and I am able to laugh with no pain. Did I tear my muscle repair?

+3
The pain and discomfort is very variable post abdominoplasty. Some patients like yourself are surprisingly very comfortable. It is usually the tissues that fail and not the sutures. If that were to happen at this stage, it would cause bleeding and it would be more painful.

Farhad Rafizadeh, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Muscle repair in tummy tuck

+3

It is rare to hurt the muscle repair after a tummy tuck.  Best to re-visit your doctor and have them examine you.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

+3

Best to return to your chosen surgeon ASAP. He can examine the area. From MIAMI Dr. darryl j. Blinski

Tummy Tuck Recovery

+3

12 days after surgery you may or may not still have discomfort from the muscle repair.  It is unlikely that you have a tear in your muscle repair.  Actually, if it tore, you may have more discomfort.  If there is any concern, you should see your surgeon for an evaluation.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Muscle repair and tummy tuck

+3

It is doubtful from sneesing or slight coughing that you tore your repair of the muscles. If concerned you should see your doctor.

Tummy tuck

+2

Its very unlikely you torn anything, the sutures used to tighten the muscle are very strong and ripping through the muscle is very painful, you would know.

I still suggest you mention it to your surgeon since he is the only who knows what technique and what sutures were used.

Antoine A. Hallak, MD, FACS

Nearly any problem is reparable.

+2

Nearly any problem is reparable.  Sneezing is unlikely to affect your tummy tuck.

However, you must first determine if you have a problem that needs correction. This may be an easy diagnosis or one that requires time to become more apparent and may involve use of diagnostic imaging (MRI or Ultrasound).

It seems that you have two different issues at hand. Tummy tuck +/- incisional hernia? or diastasis repair? It is difficult to tell from your description. The former often invovles the use of a mesh like material whereas the second does not. The first is less dependent upon stitches than the latter.

Depending on which you had, the answer can be different.

Discuss your concerns with your surgeon, so that they may conduct an proper examination and order any tests if necessary and/or perform any required procedures.

Tummy Tuck

+2

Tearing the muscle repair after tummy tuck ranges from "fairly hard to do" to "darn near impossible" - depending on the technique the surgeon used to effect the repair and the qulaity of your tissues.  If your surgeon used a series of single stitches to put your muscles together and your tissues are good, it's very unlikely that you ripped enough of them by sneezing to  "tear" your repair.  If your surgeon used one single stitch running it over and over from the bottom to the top of the muscle, it may have given way and the muscles could have pulled apart.  your best bet is to return to your surgeon and let him or her check you out.

Robert Sigal, MD
Reston Plastic Surgeon