Why Is There A Lump 2 Weeks Post-Op Lower Blepharoplasty? Should I Massage It? (Photos)

It has been 12 days since my lower blepharoplasty. I'm 33 years old. After my stitches were removed we (PS and I) noticed a lump (ball) under my left eye in the area where the bag was removed. Will this go away with time? Will I need another surgery? And lastly, I heard a mix about massaging it...Will it help or hurt?

Bump after eyelid surgery

+1

The best advice and counseling you can receive after surgery is not from an online forum but from your operating surgeon.  But almost certainly, this will resolve with time and paitence.  Massage may be of limited benefit.

Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Why Is There A Lump 2 Weeks Post-Op Lower Blepharoplasty? Should I Massage It?

+1

The eyelids can take up to 3 months to heal from eyelid surgery, so at 12 days it's a bit early to worry about the results, lumps, bumps etc.  I do some lower lid malposition of the right lower eyelid that you may want to ask your surgeon about.  Other than that...time should heal all else.

Bumps during eyelid healing

+1

There can be bumps during the healing process after any surgery. The first place to find an answer to any questions during healing is from your original surgeon. Timing for scar massage can vary per surgeon preference. In general 12 days out is ok for massaging, but only after your surgeon has cleared you for massaging. There are some situations that massaging can aggravate.

Andrea Nowonty Hass, MD
Palm Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Give it time

+1

The lump under your left eyelid looks like an inflammatory bump, or granuloma. You should check with surgeon on their preferred course. I agree with the other posts, that two weeks is way too early to be worried. Healing takes months. Best of luck.

Gary Lelli, Jr., MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lump

+1

You are asking this question way to early. You may be seeing a lump due to localized  bleeding that will resolve. Please go back to your surgeon for advice

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Where is your surgeon?

+1

This is the perfect question to ask your surgeon.  They are interested and movitvated to help you with any post-operative issues that develop after your surgery.  Please call the office and asked to be seen before your next visit so that your surgeon can evaluate what is going on.  He or she might recommend message or they might advise you that the issue will resolve on its own.  They might even feel that an injection would help the situation.  However, unless you call your surgeon and get seen, you will deny yourself the opportunity for them to take care of you which is what you have paid them to do.

Eyelids take months to heal!

+1

I keep reading questions from patients about timing of healing following eyelid surgery. Either the doctors are not taking the time to explain the steps and duration of healing, or the patient is not listening to what they are being told. Patients can be unrealistic about their perceived timetable for healing and even make plans on their social calendar assuming they will be healed, and when they are not, then they get perturbed at the surgeonj who is trying to do a good job for the patient.  Human nature gets in the way of an otherwise smooth post-op recovery!

William D. Merkel, MD
Grand Junction Plastic Surgeon