12 Days After TT and Belly Button is Looking a Little Gray Inside. Is This Normal? (photo)

It is looking better since last week (using bacitracin) and less irritated looking. No drainage, just the bleeding and scabs, and no foul smell. Will the inside pink up with time or is the color a sign of my BB not healing properly?

Tummy Tuck - Belly Button is Looking a Little Gray

+1

It's hard to tell 100% from the photo but it does look like there will be some delayed healing there.  That can mean many different things and it is possible that it will heal without any apparent irregularities or deformities, but it is also possible that you will have some excess scarring.  Either way, you should stay in touch with your PS and continue to undergo local wound therapy until this region heals.  At that point, you can consider any revisional procedures, if indicated, to improve the result.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Web reference: http://www.bodysculpture.com

Belly Button “Normal” after Tummy Tuck?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

Looking at the bellybutton closely, I can see why you have concerns. Most likely the bellybutton will go on to heal but you may find that there is a potential of contraction ( with the bellybutton scarring and decreasing in size). Close follow-up with your plastic surgeon is indicated to help prevent excessive contraction of the bellybutton if this occurs. Sometimes a small marble placed in the belly button may be helpful ( if recommended by your plastic surgeon down the line) if the belly button does begin to contract down.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_tummyTuck.htm

+1

Hard to see in photo posted. recommend seeing your chosen surgeon soon, just in case the bb is having issues. 

Belly Buttons and Healing After a Tummy Tuck

+1

Dear Katapple,

Belly buttons are funny things.  They are really the only scar anyone wants on their body.  Because they are a leftover of the umbilical cord, they have a less than optimal blood supply and frequently take longer to heal than the rest of the incisions.  As long as there are no signs of an infection and the incision is intact, it should heal with time.

Please stay in contact with your plastic surgeon and if you have any concerns, discuss them with your surgeon who can advise you best.  Hopes this helps

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Belly buttons usually heal very well

+1

I think your belly button should be fine.  Sometimes the "gray" can result from lack or low blood flow to it, but even if it doesn't get any blood, the resulting scarred belly button will look just fine.  Of course, I also encourage you to contact your plastic surgeon with any concerns immediately.

Belly button takes awhile to heal

+1

The belly button is sometimes difficult to heal.  It usually looks worse before it looks better. As long as the incision is healing around it and it is turning pink it will be ok.

Web reference: http://www.sanfranciscocosmetic-surgery.com/