11 Weeks Post Op Following a SMAS/platysmaplasty with Ridges/indents Under my Chin? (photo)

Not sure what happened, but I have ridges and deep divots under my chin following a SMAS/Platysmaplasty. Does it look like the platysmaplasty did not hold requiring a revision platysmaplasty? PS says this is normal and will smooth with time. At 11 weeks, I really don't think there will be much/any improvement. If a re-do is required, does it look like just the platysmaplasty would need re-done? In the meantime, can fat injections/filler be used in this area? Any suggestions what to do?

Redo Platysmaplasty

+1

At 11 weeks, this may be swelling or induration.  A physical exam really does help in this type of situation to determine if the area is platysma, fat, swelling, fluid, etc.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Facelift Los Angeles, CA

Final Healing Following Facelift Takes Many Months

+1

Everyone wants an immediate result - including surgeons. Unfortunately this just isn't how we heal  Eleven weeks is just too early to tell.There are many predictable portions of the healing process that ALL PATIENTS EXPERIENCE. Although both doctor and patients would like to not have this happen, it is part of the healing process.  Massage can some times be of benefit during this time period These Side effects refer to what you will be experiencing from the facelift healing process: Here are some of the common things you will experience. The common side effects include: swelling which is maximum 2-3 days later, bruising (highly variable), numbness which takes several months to resolve,  tightness takes several days to months to resolve, discomfort chewing (technique dependent), discomfort (generally mild with this surgery, nausea (variable) and in some patients emotional lability in some. Although most of the visible edema resolves in 2-3 weeks in mini-lifts and 3-4 weeks in traditional facelift approaches, residual firmness (edema you feel but don’t see) can linger for several months. Skin suppleness also takes a while to return as does scar maturation. I tell my patients it takes up to a year for final resolution of the healing process. In my experience, the above rough time table is usually delayed in smokers, when multiple procedures are performed together and when resurfacing procedures are done at the same time as the lift. The same is true if complications occur such as infection, hematoma, skin loss or compromise, etc.  Facelifts and all surgical procedures for that matter share several possible complications - such as excessive bruising or bleeding (e.g. hematoma), injury to deeper structures, anesthetic complications and so on

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Time will tell......

+1

It is normal to have a lumpy appearance anytime a "lift" has taken place, the skin does need time to adjust and settle down and most do improve over time, 6 months is the earliest I recommend ever "re-doing" a surgery.  It would be best to address concerns with your surgeon  you may possible just need the incision revised for the smoother appearance you are wanting.  In the mean time I offer my patients "Skin-tyte" non-invasive collagen stimulation laser that can cause some external tighting of the skin post procedure.  Hope this helps and Good Luck! 

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon