11 days, no results yet. Is it possible that the Botox results will appear 'suddenly' any day now, or is it always gradual?

I am a male and 11 days ago I got Botox done for frown lines. There is still absolutely no change in the appearance in the frown line area, and I can still fully contract the muscles. The doctor who did the procedure said that in his experience 15 units is enough for frown line area for 95% of people. Should I wait more or contact the doctor already? Will I have to pay for additional Botox units, if he offers that I get them? Will the result of it will be postponed for another couple of weeks?

Time of action for BoTox?

+1
BoTox, and all forms of Botulinum Toxin A, work by blocking the reuptake of acetylcholine at the neuromuscular junction. By doing so, it inhibits transmission of signals from one neuron to the next at whichever junction it is working on (e.g., neuro junction, sweat gland junction, etc.) The duration of BoTox is typically 3-4 months on average. It can take up to 7 days for it to take effect.

It it may be that you simply need more BoTox to take effect. Those with very active muscles or I've seen this in men, may need additional units for effect. Thank you for the question! Hope this helps!

Botox Results

+1
Generally, the maximal results from a Botox treatment are not seen until 14 days post-procedure. However, by 11 days, you should see most of the effectiveness. 15 units of Botox to treat a frown area in a male is likely too low, as men usually have stronger muscles that require higher doses than women. You will likely require more Botox to treat your frown area.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Should see result by now

+1
I agree that in 3 to 5 days most of my pts see noticeable results. Men do require higher doses. Other possible reason are wrong injection site or antibodies if you have been treated many times previously. Best to go back to your doctor for a review.
Best wishes

Gerard Lambe, MD
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

No results 11 days after botox

+1
I would expect the botox to show its effects by 11 days. Men usually need higher doses due to the greater muscle mass. I suggest you got back to your doctor for a top-up.

Roy Ng, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

+1
In general, Botox can take around one week to take effect. If you still do not have a visible result after 11 days, I would recommend following up with your provider. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Botox onset of action

+1
Typically my patients will see a result from Botox within 3 days, 5 days latest. If you are not noticing any effect 11 days out I would suggest following up with your surgeon.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

+1
It is unusual to have no changes 11 days after the Botox injections. Men's wrinkles can be more difficult to treat and may require more units of Botox to achieve the desired results. If at the end of two weeks from the time of your injections you are still not seeing any results I would return to your treating physician. 

Daniel Shapiro, MD

No results Botox male frown

+1
Typically the male "frown lines" require significantly more Botox than females since males have thicker, stronger muscles in this area. In my experience, 15 units is a very low dose for the male glabella area. You will likely need more Botox to this area. I would recommend returning to your treating physician for evaluation and hopefully a higher dose of Botox will give you a nice result. Best wishes.

Kristin Baird, MD
Longmont Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for frown lines no results

+1
It is not typical to have no results 11 days out from Botox injection.  There may be incomplete resolution of the wrinkles but there should be some relaxation of the muscles.  I would check with your physician.  There can be a number of causes, an insufficient amount (15u is conservative), a poor batch, or an old batch.  Every provider has there own approach to dealing with this situation. Our fee structure is a per unit charge others may be passed on site or region.   For myself, if there was no technical or product related issue that I can discover, then if  additional product is required there should be a charge for this, although perhaps at a reduced rate.

Arthur N. Falk, MD
Albany Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for the 11 and results

+1
Botox for the 11's, particularly in men, may take 20 Units or more.  If after two weeks you have no results I would return to your treating physician.  For the best results please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with facial injections.

Michele S. Green, MD