10+ Yr Breast Implants Need to Be Checked but my Doctor is MIA, What Should I Do?

I'm going on 11 years with my implants and they feel okay but I would feel much better if I could get a doctors opinion. My problem is that my original doctor has been disbarred from the medical field and I don't know who to turn to or what to expect at my consultation(s).

Need a new plastic surgeon for breast implant issues

+1

The American Society of Plastic Surgeons website can assist you with finding a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area.

plasticsurgery.org

Go to "Find a Surgeon" and search.

You can also ask friends and family who they trust.  Word-of-mouth referrals are powerful and usually a testimony to the reputation and skill of the surgeon. Make sure whoever is recommended is board-certified.

Best of Luck.

Longevity of breast implants

+1

The breast implants do not need to be replaced every 10 years. In my practice I see some patients that were operated by me much longer that 10 years ago, and we leave the implants in. If you are not having any issues with breast discomfort or with the appearance of the breasts, then a routine examination and mammogram is all you need.  Get evaluated by a board certified plastic surgeon to make sure all is well. If you are advised to replace the implants, do not be afraid to ask for a specific reason for this recommendation.  Ask your family doctor or your gynecologist for a referral to a reputable surgeon.

Boris M. Ackerman, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Doctor Shopping

+1

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Hopefully you kept your breast implant data card to let your new doctor know what your implants were exactly. Pick a new board-certified plastic surgeon. Ask your primary care doctor for a referral.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Finding a plastic surgeon

+1

Dear Deet78, the best way to find a new local plastic surgeon is to go on the American Board of Plastic Surgery website.  By using this site you are assured that your surgeon is board certified in plastic surgery.  Hopefully the new surgeon can ease your concerns.

Good luck!

Shahin Fazilat, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Checking breast implants

+1
Go onto the website of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons and follow instructions on its find a doctor link. I also recommend that you contact your state's bureau of medical licensure. When a physician stops practicing, for whatever reason, patients should be notified and given the opportunity to obtain their medical records. For augment surgery, in particular, you would want to know the size, manufacturer and profile of the implants as well as the placement of the implant, above or below the muscle, so that, should surgery be required in the future, your new plastic surgeon would be able to make intelligent recommendations.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Breast implant follow up

+1

if you know which company implants you have  you can contact the company.

contact a board certified plastic surgeon and have a consult to determine your

best follow up

No need to change out >10yr old breast implants if all is well

+1

I'm not sure where the misconception of 'having to change out' breast implants after 10years came from. Bottom line: there is no need to replace them if you are not having any issues with them. The warranty on implants expires after 10yrs, but that's it. The impant itself is safe after 10 years- no studies suggesting the contrary. I hope this helps, Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

+1

Dear Deet78,

Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. You can locate a plastic surgeon in your area through the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS).

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

Who to see when your first plastic surgeon is no longer in practice?

+1

The American Society of Plastic Surgeons can help you find a board certified Plastic surgeon in your area.  If you still have the implant cards, typically given to you post op, these can be helpful for your next surgeon.  Good luck

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Finding a plastic surgeon for breast implants

+1

We feel the best place to start when looking for a plastic surgeon to check up on 'old' breast implants, or to see about breast augmentation, is the American Society of Plastic Surgeons for a list of board certified plastic surgeons in your area.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd