10 Year Encapsulated Tram Flap Has Abcess Due to Accident at Work.Will It Heal on Its Own?

I had 2 free tram flaps, left side encapsulated in 2002. Isomeone hit me with a rack accidently and an abcess formed. I'm contacting my old ps, is there a chance this will heal on its own? What should happen? Thank You!

Abscess vs Hematoma in TRAM flap

+1

I would contact your plastic surgeon for an in office exam.   If this does not heal quickly, it can be easily corrected with removal of the capsule and potentially infectious source.

I wish you a safe and healthy recovery.

Dr. Gill

Web reference: http://www.drpaulgill.com

Abscess? after free Tram injury

+1

Are you sure it is an abscess( a pus filled cavity) vs. a hematoma?  Best to be seen in person to be properly evaluated.

Abscess or Hematoma?

+1

It would be very unusual for you to form an abscess from external trauma.   A hematoma is more likely than an abscess.   If you actually have an abscess the breast would be warm to the touch, painful and you would have a fever.  It would not resolve without drainage and antibiotics.  A hematoma, on the other hand, if small will resolve spontaneously.  Best to get this evaluated as soon as possible.