10 Wks Post Op Extended Tummy Tuck Incision Still Opened?

I am 10 wks post op and my incision right above my pubic area is still opened. Dr. Said it will heal up within two-three weeks, it's been two weeks now and doesn't seem to be getting any smaller or closing. It still leaks through the gauze. I am worried, I am on antibiotics due to a upper respiratory infection so if it is infected the antibiotics should take care of that. I am wondering should it be stitched up again? Is this normal?

Open incision after tummy tuck

+1
Having another infection that is being treated suggests that your body will have more difficulty healing in general as it must mobilize to address two issues at once. It would be good to know whether the infections are produced by similar organisms; antibiotics for one problem may not be useful for the other and so you should be on medication that supports you across the board. An infected wound should not be resutured and should be allowed to heal by secondary intuition. You should continue to follow up with your plastic surgeon.

Hello

+1

Without pictures or an exam it’s hard to say when it will heal or if it’s normal. 2 weeks post-surgery is pretty soon. If you’re following up with your PS and he has treatment for you I would keep it. Make sure it stays clean you change your padding every day. If the drainage is clear its good. If you start getting green and smelly discharge you need to see you Doctor.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

+1

It sounds like it's time to see your surgeon again. although I don't know what antibiotics you're taking for your upper respiratory infection early on after surgery the organisms causing that infection might be similar to the ones in your wound. However after 10 weeks the kind of organisms he might have been the wound would be best identified by culture and sensitivity. The antibiotics you're currently taking may not actually be working.

It is often better to let let this heal without suturing the the incision. If the bacteria are not suitably cleared closing the incision surgically it can be counterproductive and lead to a recurrence of the infection.

Do make an appointment to see her surgeon. Thanks for question and best wishes.