Now 10 Weeks Post Op Rhinoplasty, Very Unhappy. What To Do?

i had my open rhinoplasty 10weeks ago and i hate it. the nose is short,upturned,pointy tip,uneven nostrils, nose too narrowed which im sure is causing my breathing difficulties and looks so unnatural and fake considering i only asked for my nostrils to be taken in. the nose does not suit my face and nose bridge no definition my surgeon says this is all swelling i doubt it think he messed up.

Hopefully by now your troubles have resolved!

+1

Hello nat jackson,

Thanks for your question.  At 10 weeks after an open rhinoplasty, the nasal tip will continue to be stiff, swollen, and often numb to the touch.  This is a very common problem.  It can take up to a year for the nasal tip to soften and finish shaping.  You are around two years postop now so hopefully the tip has shaped the way you wanted it to.  If not I would seek the consult of a expert in revision rhinoplasty to address your concerns.  There are multiple ways to increase the definition of the nose, but you must make sure you understand all the pros and cons of the various options.

Good luck,

Dr. Shah

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Time will tell after Rhinoplasty

+1
You do have some nasal asymmetry that may need correction in the future and your breathing concerns may need to be addressed if they were not addressed with your original rhinoplasty. When thinning the nose you must make sure to keep a proper airway by fixing any septal deviations as well as turbinate reduction. Since I do not have preoperative photographs to compare with your postoperative views or an operative narrative from your surgeon it is difficult to give a complete expert opinion. With this said no revisions should be attempted until you have given your nose an entire year to heal. You may want to see another surgeon for a second opinion as well. Do discuss all of your concerns with your surgeon and hopefully he/she will be able to provide you some comfort regarding your result. As another surgeon stated I also use a digital imaging computer prior to the procedure during the consultative phase enabling the patient to view the proposed results prior to the surgery. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

Unhappy after Rhinoplasty

+1

I would urge patience on your part. Although I sense a large amount of disappointment in your posting question your nose does not look objectively that bad. You most definitely have swelling in your nose and it will take about six months to get where the nose is perhaps 90% healed, with most of the swelling resolved. At that point your concerns, if you still have them, can be addressed. Much of what may have happened is a difference between what you wanted or expected and what your surgeon thought he/she could actually improve. It seems like the surgery went further than what you wanted. That is an issue to take up with your surgeon. Again, be patient, and you will likely find the results fall more in line with what you were expecting Best of Luck  Dr Jon Harrell

Jon F. Harrell, DO

It Takes 6-12 Months for Rhinoplasty Result

+1

I agree with most comments...10 weeks is too early to make any judgment and your nose certainly looks reasonable at this stage.

Wait at least 6-12 months before making a final decision.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy after rhinoplasty

+1

Certainly 10 weeks is too early to assess results.  The tip should fall, the swelling should go down, and the look will change.  Wait a total of 4-6 months before evaluating the final contours. 

Your pictures show a cute profile and nostril asymmetry that is not excessive.

Be patient; I think you will have a nice result at the end.  If after a few months you are still unhappy it looks like only a small revision might be needed.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

10 weeks post-op is too soon to judge your results after Rhinoplasty Surgery.

+1

I read your concerns and reviewed your photos:

You have a pleasing nasal appearance on profile-view. Your tip does not appear to be over-rotated, but it may drop a bit over the next several months.

I see you have nostril asymmetry on front-view. This may in fact improve as your swelling resolves.

In my view, you do not appear to have a "horrible" rhinoplasty result. You may benefit from getting a second opinion from another experienced, reputable, rhinoplasty specialist to see what would be best for you.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy

+1

Your nose looks quite good to me at this point. You need to talk calmly to your surgeon and definitely let more time go by

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Unhappy with rhinoplasty results at 10 weeks

+1

At 10 weeks it is still early yet to determine what the final appearance will be. With this said, did you discuss fully with your sugeon the changes that you wanted as well as what you did not like. From the early photos that you provided, the results do look good but perhaps this is not what you desired.

You should share your concerns and disappointments with your surgeon at this point in time and then obtain his/her input. Regardless, you probably should wait around 1 year before pursuing a revision is so desired.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Poor Result after Rhinoplasty

+1

First off, I agree with you.  This is not a problem with swelling.  There are some definite issues with your nose that are not going to improve with time.  What appears has happened is that your surgeon in an effort to make your nasal tip thinner, pulled the cartilage of the tip on the left too much, deforming the nostril.  As the persistant swelling resolves over the next 3 months, this should get worse, not better.  This is the reason that your nose looks upturned.  The actual rotation (viewed from the side)  looks good at about 90 degrees.

Unfortunately, you will likely need a revision procedure.  In the best of circumstances, all that will be involved is cutting the stitch that is deforming the nose but it could be more substantial.  Talk with your surgeon about this.  The very earliest that you would want to do anything major is 6-9 months, but if it is just a stitch, it could be addressed now.

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon