10 Weeks Post-labiaplasty and I'm Still Not Healed. What Do I Do?

I had a labiaplasty 10 weeks ago. 3 weeks after the procedure the incision on my left "lip" opened up. My doctor then re-stitched it (in office under local anesthesia). A short time later the incision opened for a second time. She then stitched it up once again. It has been just over six weeks and a part of the incision is open once again. She keeps telling me to just wait it out and give it time, but I'm frustrated and scared. It still hurts too. What do I do, and will it ever be normal again?

Delayed healing labiaplasty

+1

WIthout knowing the specifics of our case it is difficult to give you a specific answer. In general, 10 weeks is a long time for the vaginal mucosa to heal. I recommend following up with your surgeon to have them evaluate the incision. Factors that can lead to wound disruption include vigorous activity or sexual intercourse too early in the post-op course, infection, low protein intake or underlying medical conditions. This area tends to heal well so be patient, but see you surgeon to get their opinion. 

Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Post Op Labia Reduction Surgery

+1

I would also recommend that you follow the instructions of your surgeon and give your body time to heal.  Your surgeon knows your history and recovery process better than anyone else.

Be patient - your body will heal.

Unusual. Any underlying condition?

+1

It is very unusual to have such a prolonged delayed healing after labiaplasty; smoking or underlying conditions like diabetes can significantly contribute. Trauma or sexual intercourse in the early phases of healing are also contraindicated. I agree with your doctor that you will need to be patient and let it heal. Don't worry, you will be normal again. I would recommend close follow ups (twice a month) to monitor the healing and improvement.

Andrea Marando, MD
Manchester Plastic Surgeon