10 Months Post-op, Rhinoplasty.. Bipolar Swelling.

I had a rhinoplasty done 10 months ago. I had a droopy tip when smiling and a bump. Both were fixed. My nose seems to swell up based upon the weather. When it's cold outside, my nose is completely perfect, I absolutely love it. However, when it's warm, it becomes very swollen and puffy, both at the bridge and tip. It's now summer time and I hate my nose :( Common sense told me to ice it, but that doesn't seem to be working. The more ice packs I apply, the more swollen it becomes. Help!

Swelling with warm temperature

+2

What you are describing is a natural phenomenon and has to do with increased vascularity of skin with warmer temperatures - this will likely not improve much over time

Nose swollen 10 months after Rhinoplasty

+2

It does sound like residual swelling even though it's been 10 months from your Rhinoplasty.  I had performed Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and instruct all of my Rhinoplasty patients on nasal manual lymphatic drainage that they do daily beginning one month after Rhinoplasty until all residual swelling is gone.  Ask your Rhinoplasty surgeon for suggestions on how to get rid of the residual swelling.

Fluctuations in post-operative rhinoplasty swelling takes time to stabilize.

+1

I can certainly understand the frustration you must be experiencing with your nose.  It's difficult to comment on this issue without knowing the details of your surgery.  That being said, it is quite "normal" to experience fluctuations in swelling for over a year after rhinoplasty.  Just as you've experienced, your nose will have minor fluctuations based on the weather, your hydration, after a workout, and even throughout the day (i.e. worse in the morning and getting better throughout the day).  

Although it is very frustrating, patience is the best treatment.  Once all the remaining swelling comes out of your nose, you'll experience fewer fluctuations.  Give your nose some time and certainly bring this up with your surgeon during your next post-operative visit so that they can help address your concerns and make sure you are happy.

Michael G. Brandt, MD (retired)
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

Swelling of the nose may take a year or even longer to resolve.  Unfortunately, you have to be a bit more patient.