Does the 10 Minute Eye Lift from Dr Novick Work?

I have very droopy eye lids, i am tying to find more information concerning Dr Lee Novick's 10 minute eye lift procedure, does it work? i like the idea of no down time and it is more affordable than cosmetic surgery but there is so little information about it, and why do other doctors not use this procedure?

I can't do upper eyelid surgery in 10 minutes. Dr. Novick must be faster than me.

+4

I don't know anything about "Dr. Novick".  He must really fly through upper eyelid surgery if he can do it in 10 minutes.  I  take longer, about 30 to 45 minutes.  Many patients can have this under local and return to regular activities the same day (although there will be evidence of having had an operation).

"10 minute Eyelid lift"

+3

An "eyelid lift" is a layman's term that is vague and usually is used to describe surgery to remove excess skin from the upper eyelids.

Eyelid surgery, however, is much more complicated than that. There are many different factors to consider: is the eyelid itself too low [ptosis], is there excess skin [dermatochalasis], is there muscle hypertrophy, or prolapsed fat? Or is a droopy brow giving the impression that there is too much eyelid skin?

Every patient is different and needs to be evaluated individually.

I do not know "Dr Novick" or his "10 minute lift", but it seems more of a "marketing gimmick" than anything else. And usually, you get what you pay for.

Good luck

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

10 minute surgery rarely works - there are no miracles

+3

Hello, Horses,

I actually took the time to look it up and lo and behold, Dr. Novick has the full description of this procedure on the web, as well as one case of before and after photos.

It sounds like a cautery burn instead of regular blepharoplasty. Also sounds like there is still downtime (since you get a burn), and a scar (probably worse than what you would have with a regular blepharoplasty). The before and after photos other than having very different lighting, don't look that different.

You can make the decision whether this sounds appealing to you, based on the lower sticker price, but I would caution you to do your homework and do more research before you commit to any procedure.

Sincerely,

Dr. Stella

Stella Desyatnikova, MD

10 Minute Eyelift? Please.......

+2

Any form of procedural advertising which focuses on speed alone should be viewed with a healthy dose of suspicion.  There is certainly no miracle being offered in Dr. Novick's assertions.  After reading the description of the procedure, I remain thoroughly unconvinced this technique would work for the vast majority of patients I see for aging in the upper third of the face.  Lastly, the description of upper eyelid surgical techniques on Dr. Novick's website (Blepharoplasty) is somewhat overly critical.  Upper Eyelid surgery is a wonderful, powerful, and efficacious procedure in the right hands.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Does the 10 minute eye lift work?

+2

I don't know this doctor, nor am I familiar with any type of eye lift or eyelid surgery that could be done in 10 minutes.  Sounds like some type of suture fixation method, which IMHO never, ever work.  An upper eyelid surgery takes about 40 minutes in the hands of a very experienced surgeon, so 10 minutes?  Unlikely.  Perhaps more marketing than fact?

Dr Novick is a 2010 TOP BOTOX doctor on Realself.

+2

Cosmetic surgeons have gotten very creative renaming things.  We do this because the press loves to tell a new story even if the only thing really new is the name.  What this refers to is using a radio frequency device to tighten the upper eyelid skin.  Is this really and eyelid lift?  Well there is no official definition of what constitutes and eyelid lift.  So if he is able to tighten the upper eyelid with a radio frequency device to the public satisfaction then he has a reasonable basis for making this claim.  It is marketing allegory.  The upside is that you did not actually need surgery.  The downside is that it is unlikely to be satisfactory for everyone who receives treatment.

The Ten Minute Eyelift Works Well For Hooded Lids

+1

Below is an excerpt of a description of the Ten Minute Eyelift taken from the Internet in which the technique is described explicitly. Clearly, the description specifies that the procedure is minimally invasive, has a healing period of seven to ten days and that a fine, but hidden scar typically results from the treatment.

I was frankly surprised and disappointed that all but one of those who chose to respond to this question had even take the minute of the time needed to research the procedure before drafting their responses. Had they actually done so, they would have clearly seen that no assertion was made by me that the procedure had no downtime, no claim was made that the procedure caused no scarring, and that indeed the procedure only takes five minutes per side to complete. The Ten Minute Eyelift is precisely what it claims to be: an effective, sutureless technique for dealing with hooded eyelids that leaves no visible scar. The procedure is so simple and results are so consistently gratifying that I did it as well on myself, without the need for an assistant, and I routinely include the befores and afters of my own eyelids when discussing the procedure with potential patients. Science demands more of us as physicians both in our practice of medicine and when responding to reader inquiries, since our patients and our readers depend upon us for accurate information.

"Several years ago, I developed what I dubbed the Ten Minute Eyelift for treating significant upper eyelid hooding. The technique is quite simple. With the patient seated upright, I first mark off the entire length of the lower third of the “underbelly” of the hooded portion of the lids on each side. Next, I numb these areas with a small amount of local anesthetic. Finally, I pass a cautery probe, which imparts an intense amount of heat energy, along the marked stretch of each lid.

Almost immediately, the skin contracts vigorously in response to the probe, drawing the hooded portion of the lid backwards over the surface of the underlying normal lid.  As it does so, the underlying eyelid is exposed and restored.  Each wound is then covered with only a small amount of antibiotic ointment and left to heal spontaneously.

The entire technique takes about five minutes per side. Healing is usually complete in seven to ten days. Slight bruising and mild swelling are common afterward and may take about a week before becoming less noticeable. Cold compresses can be used in the first 48 hours to minimize the bruising and swelling. This may be supplemented by the oral use of bromelain for three days. Bromelain, an enzyme, is a pineapple derivative that has demonstrated usefulness in preventing bruises and speeding their resolution. Pain medications are seldom necessary, but for some people who experience mild discomfort, acetaminophen (Tylenol) is ordinarily adequate. Most people can return to work the following day.

One treatment is ordinarily all that is required. The results are permanent and can be fully appreciated in just two weeks. When fully healed, a faint, narrow, linear ivory or off-white line is often all that can be seen at the treatment site.

The accompanying “before” picture demonstrates how the “hood” of the upper eyelid covers the entire upper lid up until the lid margin (where the lashes begin). In the “after” photo, which was taken two weeks following a Ten Minute Eyelift, you can see how the hood no longer entirely covers the upper lid and has healed into a more youthful, more natural appearance. Fees range from $1000-$1500, depending upon the extent of the problem.

Q. I have droopy bags under my eyes. Can these be treated with The Ten Minute Eyelift?
A. In general, the technique is best reserved for a heavily hooded upper eyelid where  the resulting whitish, linear scar will be concealed under the remnant of the hood. However, when there is sufficient redundancy and sagging of the lower lid to cause bags and folding of the tissue, this method may be used cautiously there, as well.

Q. I have heard that there is a limit to the number of times that blepharoplasty may be performed. Does this apply to the Ten Minute Eyelift?
A. While the result of a Ten Minute Eyelift is technically permanent, age-related changes to the delicate tissues surrounding the eyes may eventually result once again in significant hooding. Fortunately, the Ten Minute Eyelift may be repeated as often as necessry. Whenever possible, retreatment is performed directly over the previous scar so that no additional scar tissue is created."

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

10 minute eyelid lift

+1

There are a lot of slogans and names for procedures that are in the media, and contrary to what most lay people think, they are usually not widely known by other physicians (or anyone other than the person marketing it!).  More often than not, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. (and is speed really your priority?)  At the risk of repeating what is said on this forum over and over, seek out a highly qualified, board certified surgeon who has extensive training in the area of surgery that you are interested in.   

Michelle Spring, MD

Finding an Eyelid Surgeon

+1

Jan,

When searching for an eyelid surgeon, finding a qualified surgeon should take precedence over following a surgeon who can finish a surgery in any alloted time frame.  After all, you will have to live with your eyes for the rest of your life.

You are fortunate to live in New York, where there are a number of eyelid specialists (oculoplastic surgeons).  I recommend that you find a member of the American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic Surgery (ASOPRS), who will be well qualified to address your concerns.

Michael McCracken, MD
Lone Tree Oculoplastic Surgeon