10 Days Post-op, Will the Scar Tissue Formed by Lipo Go Away?

Hello, I had a Liposuction and Breast augmentation 10 days ago. The liposuction was done thru the BA insision (areaola) to remove fat between my breast and armpit area. Its been 10 days and I have formed some hard lumps in that area leading up to my armpit which I believe is scar tissue. I have had a biopsy on my breast before which also caused this, but went away after ~3 weeks. Should I expect this new scar tissue to do the same? Is this normal, and what can I do to improve it?

Minimizing #LiposuctionScars

Too early too tell. Most scars fade over the first year but never go away completely. Use of sunscreen and scar maturation products help. Following surgery, your surgical incision sites will go through a maturation process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor. Lasers and injections can improve problem scars. See link for more information on best scar management.

Liposuction and lumps

At ten days, it is a bit early to see the final results of liposuction. Certaily small lumps may be palpable and usually this softens with time.

Post Operative Changes Early After Liposuction

What you are describing are generally normal findings after liposuction surgery.  Ask your plastic surgeon what his/her post operative regimen is.  They may have suggestions for your individual surgery in your particular case.  Do let you plastic surgeon know your concerns.

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

Liposuction and post op recovery and lumps

At ten day post liposuction, it is still very early after your surgery.  The lumps you are feeling are probably associated with post operative swelling and bruising and will most likely resolve over the next several weeks.  Massaging this area may help speed this process, but check first with your surgeon.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Early post op edema (swelling)

Liposuction recovery is a work in progress. Most patients undergoing liposuction expect to look in the mirror in the early postoperative period (0-6wks) and see immediate results. Unfortunately with liposuction comes inflammation and edema (swelling) which is what your are feeling as lumps.  "scar" tissue isn't something I worry about until the treated are is totally healed which is months down the road.  Massage the areas of "lumps" and meet with your plastic surgeon to be certain you are on the expected course to recovery. Best of luck. Dr. Renucci

John Renucci, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction - and Breast Augmentation; lumps at 10 days

It is, of course, very difficult to say anything without knowing the specifics and you should talk to your PS about this but, in general, lumps and swelling at 10 days after a lipo are fairly common and are not necessarily a cause for concern.  It takes, in my experience, about 4-6 weeks to see 85% of the result, 3 months for 95% and 6 months for the final result.  So at ten days it's way too early to be concerned or even to consider that.  As part of your followups you should talk to your PS about this and any other issues you may have...but, on the face of it, I would not worry about some lumps at 10 days.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,
Dr. E

Liposuction and Scar Tissue?

At 10 days postop is very difficult to know what is swelling versus residual adipose tissue versus inflammation/early “scarring”. Generally, these areas of firmness to gradually softened;  massage of the areas may be helpful. 

Of course,  it is always best to check with your plastic surgeon with specific questions and concerns.